• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Meat-Run

Dobyns Rods...

This fall I acquired a Dobyns Rod a Champion or an Extreme model can't remember without going out to the garage but does anybody have any knowledge or history on strength, durability with these rods and their micro guides?

Thx,

MR

If it has micro guides I believe its a Savvy series. I dont think the champion or champion extreme come with micro guides. Great rod for the money. I had a 7ft med heavy Savvy with micros and it was a great all purpose rod. Personally I think the Dobyns rods balance out better than most rods out there, making them feel lighter. I fish all Dobyns now. I feel they have a rod and lenghth for all fishing techniques. I currently own a 705 CB, 734C, DX743 and DX745. Ill be picking up a DX702SF and the Randy Mcqbee crank rod this spring.

One major factor that got me to swich to Dobyns is their warranty. One of the best out there. Couple that with the quality build and components (people have questioned the use of Kigan guides vs. Fuji, Ive had no problems with them) it was enough for me to sell all my Loomis rods, GLXs and NRXs. Youve got a great all around rod in that price range. There is a considerable difference in sensitivity if you go up to the Champion and Champion extreme series.

TIP,

Thanks for the feed back that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I don't think there's any dealers around here so I wasn't sure who had any experience with Dobyns. Most of my rods are your standard St.Croix, Loomis, and regional brands so I wasn't sure what I got to work with. This past fall I used a short 6' rod medium action rod for pitching and found it easier to work versus my long broom handles that I normally use for slop and think this rod should hold up for the close contact pitching w/o fatigue.

TOG, count on it. If its up to me I would just leave my boat up on Leech, we have a bunch of new spots to work over don't we!?

MR

Hiya -

I have one Dobyns that I picked up to try out before I made the switch to all Powells. Dobyns are very solid, good value for the $, and very well built in terms of both material and fit and finish. Can't say a bad word about them.

I don't have personal experience, but one minor beef I have heard from guys with micro guides is they can get jammed up with junk if you're fishing rice. Like I said, no personal experience (Powells have low profile guides that are smaller than standard guides, but not full on micros) so just anecdotal evidence, but something to be aware of maybe...

Yup. Capras carries some and Cabelas use to I think. they still might. Its from the west coast so I think its still an unfamiliar brand out here. I used my Savvy to toss senkos, jigs, topwaters and frogs in semi thick milfoil with 50lb braid and it performed flawlessly. It is true what RK said about junk getting caught up in the micros but thats just micros in general.

I called Dobyns once and I talked to Richard (the owners son) and emailed them and got responses from Gary himself (the owner). I think that tells a lot about a company. Powell was the only other comapny that Ive had great customer service from also.

Most of my rods now are Okuma or Quantum. I have two Dobyns, one casting and one spinning. I use them both off and on. Seem like really good rods. And they do have a good warranty program. I'm with RK, saw nothing wrong with them.

I picked up a Savvy at the sportshow last year and love it. Very well balanced and sensitive for the money. My only complaint is that superline feels a bit rough when reeling in line through the micro guides. This is my only rod with micro guides, so this may be true of all other rods with micro guides too.

I believe Kruger Farms in MN also sells Dobyns rods. I asked at Cabelas last summer and they didn't carry them in the store, but they did have the Champion online.

Kruger Farms carries Dobyns and they make it to most of the shows

Also, Christophersons (Alexandria) & Zero Tolerance (Wilmar) are listed on their site

Capra's stock varies quite a bit, but Dean will order them for you as well

I have champions:

735c froggin

705cb mid cranking

704sf spinning rod

The casting rods are great for their particular purpose but I'm

not a fan of the spinning rod.

I bought 6 Champions when the newest models came out. They fish well and the customer service is great, but the build quality made me sell them all. Manufacturing flaws on almost all of them.