• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Castle vs. Yetti w/ or wo/ ramp door

Flkstlkr

Hey guys looking for some advice. I have been looking to buy my first ice fishing house. I have narrowed it down to either a Yetti 8x16 or an Ice Castle 8x16. I am looking for some advice for which will be the better fish house in the end. I plan to use it for camping in the summer and fishing in the winter. The price for the Ice castle is a little bit lower but I question the construction compared to the Yetti. Also I have the option of getting a ramp door so I can haul items if need be or if we ever want to take the wheeler out to bring the house out early I could use it for that. What are your thoughts on the ramp door? I'm worried it wont stay as warm in the house and not sure if its worth it.

Thanks guys!

i have a castle with a ramp door and i love it

i would not buy one with out one i do bring my wheeler with but i also like it for loading up gear and unloadeing it's nice to just walk in with your stuff and not worry about dinging up your door frame

as far as a a yetti vs castle? well they will both get the job done

and i love my castle but i would have to say the yetti is better built as far as the the house altho i have heard that yetti has a weaker frame but i have never looked under one so be shure to check that out also keep in mind there is a reason that ice castle is cheaper and i am happy with mine i just wish they would have spent more time and better quailty on the inside mine is a 2008 and i am in the middle of replacing the fake wood trim around the windows and the table if you intersted in a 3rd option the company my brother in law works for is now building wheel houses and they are alum they r light and very well built they bulid them as a shell or finshed but no matter what you chose they will alll work good

You should take some more time and do some research on other builders such as: Performance Engineering, Lodge, Ice Cabin, Ice Assult, Berkon, and Big Bite RVT. These builders all do exceptional jobs.

I am actually on my 5th Performance Engineering house and have been happy with all and know people that own house buy the builders mentioned above and all are very satisfied.

Also I have friends that have the rear ramp door on the house and they have said they would NOT have one on there next house as they are drafty and like to frost up and sweat.

I hope this aids in your search for your new fish house!!

I have a Yetti and love it. I do agree with eyehunter78 about taking your time and doing research, hell it took me over a year and a box full of brochures before I decided on the Yetti. I did finish the inside myself (I haven't figured out how to post pics yet). As for the back door being drafty and frosting up, I learn if I park with the nose into the wind I have no issues with drafts or frosting.

I have a question about the ramp doors on any ice house. If you haul a wheeler in your shack, what affects does it have on your floor over time if you carry in salt or from when your wheeler leaves a lot of snow water on floor. Also, does your shack ever have a bad gasoline odor?

I'm interested in hearing responses as well surrounding what flooring is best for these toy hauler/ice houses where a wheeler would be parked. In addition any pics out there of layouts with the ramp door in back as it limits your bunk options? I was just going to post a similar question on a new thread but I figured the OP would like info on this as well.

I had a 20' Lodge with the Toy hauler door.

For the most part the door seals tight, but the aluminum edges do freeze up when it gets cold. I got an insulated snap on cover from canvas craft made out of the insulated material used for the portable fish houses. That kept the frost on the door from cooling the house.

With that said, I was a portable fisherman until I got the Lodge. I bought it with the door so I could take a snowmobile or wheeler along. I think that I make two trips with snowmobile/wheeler and portable and didn't even use them. If I were to do it again, i wouldn't get a door in back. It is also a security risk being another access point if you leave it at a resort...

I can still drill holes around the house and fish or have the portable in the back of the truck. It is just something else that will have to be repaired. My Lodge was 4 years old and I had to replace the latches on it because they corroded.

yet). As for the back door being drafty and frosting up, I learn if I park with the nose into the wind I have no issues with drafts or frosting.

The wind never changes direction on you....lol

or do you turn the house around then..lol

Thank you all for the ideas. I have been looking for a fish house for quite a while, over the years I have looked at Ice castle, The lodge, performance engineering, yetti and others. The main things I wanted was a lighter house that I could get out with fairly early in the year, the ability to haul items like a wheeler or couch, use it as a camper in the summer, and have enough room for 3-4 people.

With that all said I have decided to go with the 8x16 Yetti w/ ramp door. I noticed that some people liked the ramp door and others didn't and that made me realize that its all what I want and what I am looking for. I realize that it might be a little bit drafty, however I am going to have a drop down waterproof blanket made that will cover the door up and will seal on the edges with Velcro. The floor in the "hauling area" is going to be rubber. Carpet will then start in front of the wheel wells.

The decision wasn't easy but I believe I have made the correct one. I like the Yetti the best because it seems like they are the best built house. In my opinion the company takes their time on each and every one. They gave me the feeling of a small town company dedicated to make a great product and not out there to mass produce houses just to make millions of dollars. If I made the correct decision, only time will tell. I think any of the major companies out there are going to be good houses and do the job you want. I went with my research and gut to make this call!

Thanks again everyone.

Here are some pics of the interior of my 20ft Dreamshak.

The fabric over the ramp door is a good idea and will be doing that mod myself at some point. The aluminum frame around the cargo door will sweat just like the aluminum walls and ceiling studs.

The seat system in the Dreamshak is very slick and it's super easy to fold up against the wall, turn into a seat, and then turn into a bed.full-4493-29051-025.jpg

full-4493-29052-044.jpg

full-4493-29053-047.jpg