• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

canoe, kayak, or jon boat?

To start this topic out I have owned both a 12ft type of jon boat, and I have also owned a Cranberry canoe. [Note From Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

I sold both when I was moving to Wyoming and I ended up moving back and now I am looking to replace one or the other. It seems like I didnt notice a difference between storage room between the boat and canoe. the boat was a little easier to move around in but was a PITA loading and unloading into small lakes. Obviously where the canoe really shined was in the river. The boat failed in this region im in because of how shallow the river is i fish and how much fallen timber is in this river.

I have been reading more about fishing kayaks and I like the looks of them also. As of now I really am not interested in a small boat unless a new design is around I don't know of.

The requirements I have is I would like this canoe/kayak/boat to be able to be easily paddled by one person, but also easily used with two people also and have enough from for two peoples gear. I want something that I can also mount a trolling motor on easily and wont be a pain to use. If at all possible it would be nice to be able to portage this canoe/kayak in the BWCA. I know a fishing and paddling canoe/kayak are two different things and one will work better then the other for different applications. Are there any that do both descent?

As of right now I am leaning toward a canoe again. Specifically this.

[Note From Admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

I really like how you can set it up with different rod holders, seats, and accessories. I am still questioning on how to mount a transducer as I will be adding on a trolling motor also.

I am really liking the ocean kayak trident also but its only a one man

I was also looking at the hobie two man but it doesn't seem like it has the space I want.

Any other brands I should be looking at? Any reason I shouldn't buy a nucanoe?

Sounds like you are asking alot out of one boat. You're going to have to make some concessions I think.

My first thought was also a square stern canoe. You can easily add your trolling motor and any other fishing accessories you may want. The challenge though is finding one that paddles well solo but is big enough for two people plus gear for the BWCA.

If I were you I'd figure out what configuration will get the most use. Is it mostly going to be used for day long solo fishing trips? Or is it going to be mainly used as a BWCA canoe? If you are only thinking of the occasional BWCA trip then I would leave that requirement out for this boat and then just rent a light weight kevlar canoe from an outfitter near the BWCA. That way you get something that works better for your everyday use and when you do take a BWCA trip you'll have a canoe that is perfectly designed for that application and you won't have to worry about hauling it all the way up there.

A Native Ultimate Tandem is probably as close as I could recommend to what you want. But honestly, I think you're going to either have to buy two boats, or make some concessions as to what you really need. Good luck in the search.

I'd invite you to check out the NuCanoe Frontier. It sounds like you described it to a T.

That looks like a fun little boat and it would be great for a day of fishing. Are you able to mount a trolling motor on the flat stern? Just wonder if it would be awkward to use a trolling motor positioned directly behind you when you have a seat back that might limit how well you can reach around to steer it.

Although this is a nice option for a day long fishing trip I would never consider it for a BWCA trip. No practical way to portage it and no place to put your gear.

Sounds like you are asking alot out of one boat. You're going to have to make some concessions I think.

Exactly my thoughts.

Specifically regarding having room for two but usable by one: For me, I hate single-handing two person kayaks. I just can't do it comfortably, and they probably aren't made to be single-handed.

I can single hand two-seater canoes, and that's the option I went with since I wanted to be able to take my girl out from time to time. It's a very cheap canoe (Pelican navigator, bought $350 new) and would recommend something nicer if you have the money to spend, but it's done me quite well. Look for something shorter and lighter weight with two seats if you want to have a nicer time soloing.

One boat that can do it all? For strictly fishing I would never pick a kayak over a canoe. I just got rid of my tandem kayaks (Old towne loons) because as was previously stated they're just a pain to use solo they also don't fish well and don't portage at all. The Pungo 12 by Wilderness has proven to be a good all around kayak for fishing and river running/overnights but not for multi day trips and not for portaging and no way the storage for the BWCA. The scanoe is a good boat for fishing small lakes and it can handle up to a 5 horse but paddling it distance you can't keep up with anyone in a double ender mine is strictly relegated now for duck hunting. My go to boat has turned out to be a 17' old towne penobscot canoe in royalex (about 65lbs) It can be portaged, it fishes very well, you don't have to worry about damaging it, it has the same profile front to back so 1 guy can paddle it facing backwards from the front easily, it can handle all the gear you would ever want to bring.

Canoe. End of story.

You can even mount a small electric troller to the side of a canoe, whether it's square stern or not. They even make a "motor mount" for this now.

The add-ons available to make a canoe fishable are awesome, and everything is still really light and portable, and most importantly comfortable.

Canoe, all the way!

My first thought was also a square stern canoe. You can easily add your trolling motor and any other fishing accessories you may want. The challenge though is finding one that paddles well solo but is big enough for two people plus gear for the BWCA.

If I were you I'd figure out what configuration will get the most use. Is it mostly going to be used for day long solo fishing trips? Or is it going to be mainly used as a BWCA canoe? If you are only thinking of the occasional BWCA trip then I would leave that requirement out for this boat and then just rent a light weight kevlar canoe from an outfitter near the BWCA. That way you get something that works better for your everyday use and when you do take a BWCA trip you'll have a canoe that is perfectly designed for that application and you won't have to worry about hauling it all the way up there.

I think your right. I live by around the detroit lakes area and the BWCA trip would only be a once a year thing. I believe I will just rent if I had that cranberry creek canoe and to me it seemed tippy and I never really was comfortable in that thing. I am really looking at a nucanoe or hopefully i can get my hands on a Grumman sport boat if its used.

M opinion is Jonboat if you want to use a motor, and canoe if you mostly will be propelling with the armstrong method.

You can put a motor on a canoe, but if you mostly are driving to the location and using a motor a jonboat seems like a better choice. On the other hand if you have to carry it very much and are not taking motor, trolling motor, battery etc, then the canoe.

Set of portage wheels for the jonboat makes things easier too for spontaneous launching.

I just bought a kayak wish I had a canoe now since I like to fish with the girlfriend... we had a john boat didn't care much since I mainly fished near shore and had key points I like to anchor and fish I don't understand the trollers who gives a spot one cast and assumes nothings there, I fish small lakes one is a no wake lake so only paddle power, canoe takes more effort to travel a kayak less unless one or the other has a motor option. generally it all depends on how much space you need and how many ppl you will always be fishing with. Im a cheapo I hate buying gas anything muscle power I would choose but the johny and a motor was convenient getting around quickly plus the room to stretch and run around in was nice just hated having to barrow a truck to transport it plus gas and tabs. If you fish alone all the time id go with a canoe or yak if you need a ton of equipment just get a john, just write down on a paper all the pros and cons and make life easier on yourself and choose the most obvious one for your NEEDS