• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wyoming or Montana for speed goats?

My buddy and i put in for speed goats in Montana 2 years ago didnt get drawn so we have 1 preference point, we got talking about it again and want to try again this year but got to talking because of the blue tongue and tough couple of winters we know the herd took a hit so we started talking about maybe trying Wyoming instead. I know Wyoming has a great antelope population and tags are usually fairly easy to get anyone have any tips on how to find public land for Wyoming, compared to Montana's site it doesn't help you very much. Long rant sorry which state would you guys hunt?

Are you guys members of Huntin' Fool or do you have access to similar info? I could provide you the "out of the book" info from there, if you'd like. As far as deciding between the two- I'm no expert and I've never hunted either state for goats- but I'd go WY all the way. MT has some very good options too, but WY is generally a better choice as I understand it. I hope to hunt WY for antelope in three years (2015).

I don't think I can help too much with which state to pick, but I think I can tell you which units are doable without PPs once you decide on the state. If you decide on a state and in particularly if you have some thoughts about possible units, I'll check out what areas you might be able to draw.

Do a quick search on huntin' fool and you'll find a bunch of info about it. It's a magazine/organization that publishes info on draw odds, unit numbers and quality, public access, etc. in Western states.

FWIW, Blue Tongue only affects whitetails, not mule deer, not antelope.

I've hunted MT several times and found plenty of animals with plenty of public land to hunt them. Montana's web site is pretty hunter friendly and shows all the different types of land open to public hunting. Check the area from Glendive to Miles City.

With that being said, Wyoming has more goats than all other states combined. Lots of public lands as well.

I have hunted WY about 4 times for goats on public land an never had problem finding land or goats . get some maps that show BLM and state lands . Land owners are not nice about you crossing on to there property . An got tags every time we applyed

I have hunted WY over the last 20+ years for antelope and mule deer on public & private land. WY had been a guarantee to fill your tags and shoot a respectable goat up until 2010. I spoke with the WY G&F local biologist and game warden for NE WY in 2010 and 2011 before my group drove out for the hunt each year. Both years the biologist and game warden confirmed the low numbers of antelope and extremely low numbers of mule deer that I had been reading about online.

The message they said to me was, "if you don't work hard, you will not have an opportunity at an animal." They were right. They said the numbers were low due to tough winters, drought conditions, and EHD/blue tongue.

Also, the WY legislature will more than likely be jacking nonresident antelope and mule deer prices up for 2014, so unless you feel like paying $370 for antelope and $520 for deer in 2014, you should apply this year.

WY has a lot of public ground but also has a lot of non-residents hunting it. A great pair of binos and willingness to put some miles on your boots will reward you. If you prefer to hunt from the seat of your truck, you will be disappointed.

Good luck with you decision!

We've hunted Pronghorn in Wyoming the past 4 archery seasons. Plenty of numbers and quite a few book bucks. A core group of 4 of us made this an annual trip and have always filled our buck tags. I shot a 72-4/8" in 2011.

We started on public land and ended up migrating onto private after we got to know some of the ranchers. Wyoming was our destination of choice because a college roomate worked out there for quite some time, but having a population more than all other states combined also heavily factored into our decision.

As mentioned, get some good maps and start finding the public land. We've never hunted during the rifle season but understand it can get pretty busy out there. A lot of goats will duck and run onto private land once they get chased around.

It would do the population good if the drought broke out there. Most of the pastures were bone dry last August and the goat were looking stressed. An easy winter with spring rains would be welcomed.

My son and I too are planning a hunt in Wyoming for antelope this October during the rifle season. Well I am doing the planning anyway (he's 11 and turning 12 this April). Sounds like a terrible year to do a first time hunt but what the heck, it isn't always about the critters taken anyway. We have the party application sent in and now we are waiting until June to see if we draw tags and if so what unit. Once drawn I have been instructed by a nice Wyoming Game and Fish lady to call the office back and get a land owner list for the unit we draw. This list has land owners willing to let antelope hunters in for in most cases a modest fee when compared to guided hunts. The units I put in for also have a good amount of public. I figure nothing ventured nothing gained, 9 days to travel and hunt should allow us the ability to drive there opening day Saturday, check the unit boundaries and accessible hunting area's out on Sunday then start hunting in earnest Monday. Camping with tent each evening and loading up each morning with a motel or two somewhere in between sounds like quite a little adventure. Throw in some trout fishing (weather permitting) and we will be a couple of happy flat landers.

Never hunted Wyoming but I know they have far better numbers than MT, bigger animals, and more public land. In MT, only 700 districts (far east) would be a good bet for new hunters because of better numbers and better access. 400, 500 and 600 districts have more private ground, and more leased out private ground. The upside is the animals taste better the farther west and higher in elevation you go, but I'd figure out a way to get access before you apply.

I'm know things have changed considerably with populations, but when I hunted them 10 years ago we hunted SD. Got drawn first time, two tags each(1 doe, 1 buck). Probably a completely different landscape as far as tag availability and goat numbers these days but that was our experience.

Never hunted Wyoming but I know they have far better numbers than MT, bigger animals, and more public land. but I'd figure out a way to get access before you apply.

In each of the unit choices I have found accessible public ground and walk in area's that are posted for anyone to see via the web. The Wyoming Game and Fish lady said they won't release the individual unit land owner list because they say that they don't want hunters locking up private ground on the list with a phone call and then have the hunters not show up because they didn't draw a tag. They only want to release a list to people that know they have a tag in the unit, not a bad idea really. In my case I do not believe the unit choices I made would be a bust with out a landowner, it's just that a private ground option sounds like a good backup plan should the public ground not pan out.

Ok so the application period for non residents is over and now it's a waiting game until the draw results come out in late June. 1st choice I selected a unit with 2 large hunter management units ( with 500 total tags sold last year), 2nd choice I selected a unit with 1 Large hunter management unit and 1 large walk in area (with 750 total tags sold last year), the third unit is an easy to draw tag unit (with 2000 tags sold last year) and I found a rancher that will let my son and I hunt if we draw this unit; funny story about the last one, cold call to the rancher and after a conversation he grants permission, I ask how much of the ranch we can hunt on, he says all of it, I then ask how much ground is that, he says 30,000 acres and asks me is that enough for ya? I say yes, yes it is!!!! Thank You!!! gringringrin !!!

So the word is that Wyoming antelope tags have been cut up to 60 percent in some units for the up coming draw. No specifics from the site I found the info on. Not great news for draw odds but if drawn I guess the bright side would be less hunters and less pressured antelope. I still like my draw choices though.

number must have taken a real hit out there for that big of a reduction

I haven't heard or read of any major die offs of antelope I think the fear of a continued drought may be the biggest reason for the reduction of tags (if it proves to be true). Word is snowfall has been minimal in Wyoming this winter and while that has helped the game animals the summer range is what is in real jeopardy. Posters from Wyoming are all saying the same thing spring rain is needed bad to help the already stressed sage and grasses recover and provide for the antelope and deer.