• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

With the cold weather heading into the state, lets start an iceup report for those of us who are looking for some shooting this weekend. I would assume most of the potholes and sloughs will be locked up by tonight, but how about the larger stuff? Any word on Mud (New London) freezing over?
From other reports I have read, All of Canada and almost all of Nodak is froze tight. Also heard that there is a major push of birds heading our way (central MN), just hope there will be water around to hold em for a while.

Potholes and some small lakes are solid here (again) in Otter Tail County. 10 degrees last night! In the teens tonight will lock up more water. Head to bigger water, even smaller, deeper lakes will be open for some time if you plan on hunting.

Lots of birds in the area up until yesterday. Today I didn't see a thing. There are still lots, and lots of mallards and bills in Canada yet. I just hope there's some open water for their journey south, whenever that will be.

[This message has been edited by CD (edited 10-31-2002).]

The smaller somewhat protected sloughs froze over pretty good last night. The old waves were a slapping against the shore this morning when I left Kandi. Heard a lot of geese on the lake last night. A lot of flocks of ducks hitting the picked corn fields right now!

Lots of stuff around St. Cloud was open this morning when I came to work. The wind definitely helped. Otherwise it would have been over. Hope we have some wind again tonight. Otherwise I'll have to chase pheasants instead.

I went down to the Windom area today. This morning there were very few geese flying. No field action to speak of. I wondered if they were out during the night feeding with the full moon. Did not see any ducks to speak of. Smaller sloughs are skimmed over. The corn is comming in. Very enjoyable day to be out chasing pheasants!

Spent the day on Walnut. Two thirds of the north lake had .5 to 1inch of ice on it. Some mallards and very few divers. One, almost perfect drake redhead was what came home today. Great day to be at the lake anyhow. South lake looked totally covered.

Hunted your area this past week Gullguide. Don't know about Mud. Try not to hunt amongst idiots if I can at all avoid it. West Norway had thin ice but should be clear by now. Big lake hasn't seen any ice except right next to shore. Marsh had pretty good ice Fri. afternoon but after we broke our way out and cleared a point, the wind opened it all up. About 4 other groups out. Be back out there this week.

Mud was totally froze over with about an inch of Ice all the way out. How do I know? Roop-Dog, my dad and myself broke ice all the way from Dilley's landing all the way out to the bogs with no open water anywhere. Spent an hour breaking a hole big enough to hunt out of. Should be pretty much locked up tight again after tonight. Kinda fun being the only boat out there!

GullGuide, are you talking about the Mud Lake just off of Hwy 5 in Isanti Cty. I stopped by there this afternoon to check it out and there was one canal cut in the ice out to a reed island and that was about the only open water. The area to the right of the landing was open by late afternoon but no birds in it. All I could think of was how much work it must have been to play ice breaker!

Gull, I thought Dillys was on West Norway??

Hunted Friday and Sunday on a pond with a creek flowing into it. Had to break some ice to set decoys. Had a great hunt on Friday, one of my best ever, me and another guy were done by the time the sun came up! Mallards and teal. The ducks had been feeding there the last week and they really really wanted to come back into that spot. Sunday was slower but we still ended up with some more mallards and teal. Nice end to the season.