• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clam Base Camp questions

Thunderfoot

So I just bought a Clam Base Camp Thermal, I must say I am thrilled to get it out on the ice, it's huge! I brought it home tonight, set it up and tore it down a couple times to familiarize myself with it. I was pretty excited so I didn't even read the instructions before setting it up lol, I knew the top was supposed to go up first but I had a hard time getting it and just popped one side out then the top and then the rest of the sides, didn't have any issues. I looked through the instructions and it has a couple warnings that say it's important to pop the top first on set up and last on tear down so I tried it that way the second time and got pretty frustrated. Every time I tried it would fold back up on me. Seemed like the center peice for the top was getting caught on the center piece for the sides, I did end up getting it but it seemed a lot easier to do one side first, then the top, then the rest of the sides. Any thoughts on this? I must add I am short, and rather clumsy so that probably didn't help.

Also, the anchors, am I the only one that can not figure out how the ropes that go to the anchors are supposed to work? I'm not the brightest guy, but not the dumbest either and they confused me. Do you tie them off on the house, or the anchors? Watched the video on clams HSOforum and it looked pretty easy to anchor it and sinch it tight but messing with it in the garage, I gave up.

The next is just a commment, the so-called "oversized carry bag" is not so over-sized when it's not packed as tight as the factory sends it. Kind of a pain to get it packed up by yourself.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Joe grin

A few things...

I own the Base Camp as well. I'm not a big strong guy and I have a hard time pulling out the hubs at times. Sometimes it depends on which one you start with after you get the roof popped.

I like the Eskimo anchors and have replaced all my Clam ones with them. They are much easier to work with.

I use three small bungies to wrap up the house once I've taken it down. they seem to help it fit in the bag with room to spare. I space the bungies out about 16 inches apart.

Hope this helps.

Hi,

I own the non-thermal base camp. It is nice, big and comfortable. I think the poles are the 11mm ones (the new ones) and are stronger so they are harder to "bend" to collapse and bring up. One time the top deflated on me when I was inside, but it was not a big deal. I know how to anchor down the hub (the 4 of them in the hub), but I have no idea about the black rope that is supposed to connect to the outside. I may just not use that rope, as it is a bit thin and jimmy rig it so when I use an outside stability rope in the wind, it will work out better for me, but be able to still anchor it outside as well. I do not have condensation issues as bad as I thought. It does get wet inside, but the drippings use the entire fabric to make its way down to the ground, so I am avoided in the wet part.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Michael

I'm going on my 3rd season with the Base Camp thermal. Once you figure out how to get it back into the bag it is pretty easy. Once you collapse the house, stand it up so the hubs are raised up in the air. Then take the bag and put the end that doesn't unzip all the way around the end over the hubs. Now lay the hole thing down and start zipping and stuffing. It just takes a minute.

I'm going on my 3rd season with the Base Camp thermal. Once you figure out how to get it back into the bag it is pretty easy. Once you collapse the house, stand it up so the hubs are raised up in the air. Then take the bag and put the end that doesn't unzip all the way around the end over the hubs. Now lay the hole thing down and start zipping and stuffing. It just takes a minute.

That's a great tip, it took me a few times out on the ice to figure that one out and standing it up helps a lot, especially when you are solo.

Excellent tips guys, I think as I familiarize myself with it it will become easier too. I saw in DTro's thread about the Bigfoot he had some ratchet type ropes for anchoring on the outside on windy days, I must find these, otherwise the 4 on the inside will be plenty along with banking snow.

Getting the top popped up still seems to be a challenge but I'm sure I will be able to get better at it.

Going to try to be out before sunrise on Sunday morning and I'm not leaving til sundown and the walleyes shut down! Can't wait!!

Thanks again guys, much appreciated

Joe

I have had the Base Camp for 3 years. To answer some of your questions.

1) We do pop the top first, but at times it can be difficult to get leverage (Especially if you are short like you mentioned). You can do the sides, but it may end up breaking a pole. I did have 1 pole break just from ordinary use year 1. Clam customer service was AWESOME. They sent a new pole free of charge and were very helpful. It was a pain to get it back in, but we got it done. So if you do want to pop the sides first, just know that worst case a broken pole isn't the end of the world.

2) The Ice anchors are pretty garbage. My buddy has the Eskimo 6 person pop up and his anchors work way better. If you have issues screwing them into the ice, pour a bit of water on the ice. That helps me get it to start screwing in. You can pack snow on the skirt...if you do this be careful if the snow is slushy ice from recently drilled homes. It can freeze up and stick the shack to the ice for prolonged exposure. Before you take the shack down, be sure to go around your skirt and break up any ice. We pulled it without doing this and ripped part of the skirt.

As for the ropes, yeah they are not that easy to deal with or designed all that well. Just do your best to tie it off. I usually take my other sled style shack it is real windy, so snow pack is usually all I use to keep it down. Anchors occasionally. I also set my auger on the skirt just for some extra weight to keep it down.

3) The bag! Oh don;t get me started. The bag gets cold, the shack is icy and wet when you try and pack it up. The zipper sticks...Horrible design. Like I said, my buddy has the Eskimo 6 man hub. His bag had a drawstring type top. I bought that bag off the Eskimo site...best decision ever. It goes in so much easier. The shack is way bigger when you try and put it away due to the cold and rigidity of the material. This Eskimo bag is the ticket. Works like a charm. $25 maybe I paid.

Hope that helps.

Got the new house out for the first time today. Thanks again for the tips, helped a lot. Getting smoother each time I set up and tear down. Seems like to get the top popped I just need to grab it and yank it hard and it goes pretty easy without the whole house folding up. Stuffing it in the bag is getting easier as well, ammoman16's advice was pretty helpful for that. When I set up today it was pretty calm but it picked up later in the day approaching 20mph. Had one side blow in on me right before I started packing up. I only anchored it on the inside then banked it with snow. Will have to get the tie-downs figured out or get new ones to avoid having a side blow in again.

All-in-all I love the house! Just the space alone makes it worth the money but, the thermal fabric, quick set-up and tear-down, lots of pockets and the netting in the top, all make it well worth it.

Only cons I can see are the anchor tie-downs, and the window height could be a little lower, but both very minor in my opinion.

I have a Command Post thermal and have had similar problems. The first thing I did was cut in & install 6 brass grommets on the skirt. The tie down straps inside the house are junk. I have the anchor install adapter for a cordless drill but a 1/4" drill bit for a pilot hole and screwing the anchors by hand works much better. When you use the Clam ice anchors, keep the notch in the handle toward the house.

These houses are a pain to get back in the carry bag. The bigger the house, the harder they are and thermal is the worst. 2 tie down straps 10' long pulled tight around the middle of the tent make this job a breeze.