• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What do motorcycleists do to kill the winter woes... ( general banter thread)

JOHNBIGDOG

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Killed my winter woes by getting a bunch of little parts powder coated semi gloss black. pegs, rear-sets, passenger pegs/brackets, radiator side plates, etc. Also just got done painting my wheels to match my bike. (fusion white) we'll see how long that lasts before the brake dust and road grime drives me crazy enough to paint them black. Here's a before picture of my 06 Triumph speed triple. Once I get all the parts back on I'll post an after shot.

full-31375-31216-screenshot_2013_03_07_1

By paint I hope you mean you are getting those rims powder coated. I think that traditional paint would be stained quickly by the brake dust. I have no experience with this, but I don't hear of many people "painting" the rims.

By paint I hope you mean you are getting those rims powder coated. I think that traditional paint would be stained quickly by the brake dust. I have no experience with this, but I don't hear of many people "painting" the rims.

I would think the clear coat would protect the paint. But, if it doesnt I'm not to worried. I was going to get them powder coated. But I couldnt make up my mind on color and what would look good. I didnt want to spend $100+ on on powdercoat and not be happy with the result. So I went the spray can route and I'm only $30 into it plus my time. If the paints lasts, great! If not, Then I have a much better idea if I should keep them white or go with gloss black.

Going to have to think of a different spot to put my GPS mount. kinda in the way of the speed-o-meter. But who uses those?
My XOG GPS gives the speed as well doesn't yours? confused Most speed-O's are off anyway so looking at the GPS speed is better anyway! wink

Jcup. Where are you that the weather is so dog-gone nice? No snow, no ice, no water?

I'm still looking out my window right now at huge piles of snow, ice, and cold, cold, cold!!!! cry

Haha now that I look at it, that picture is very deceiving. Must have framed it just right not to see any.

Just west of the cities. Still piles of snow. But melting very rapidly the last couple days. It hit 50 that day.

I figured Independence was the same Independence I'm familiar with. Was thinkin' maybe they were just pics from last year. Sure had a lot of fun with those beautiful Lake Independence muskies when I lived in Waconia! I miss all the great fishing opportunities down there, and I REALLY miss the extra month or month and a half of riding season!

I love the way your scooter turned out. It's really sharp looking. Like JBD said earlier though, I hope that "paint" holds up in those key "abuse" areas. Powder coat might have been a better route, but hey, that could be another winter project next year! smile Nice job!

Oil is draining, pulled the spark plugs and drained the coolant, removed the thermostat housing and will install new plugs, fill the oil tomorrow. Then I'm just waiting for parts to get here.

The 'other' bike I was trying to get fell through last year... so I decided I was going to buy some accessories and make mine into the 'gunslinger' syle. Worked on it yesterday... will try to get some better finished pics...

before: totally stock without the passenger seat on it.

full-357-19403-ehthumbnail.jpg

bags on: Found a set of used Ironbags. They are incredible! Large and extremley heavy duty. I like the fact they are worn... just like the bike and myself!

full-357-31890-photo.jpg

full-357-31891-eh.jpg

And then a crash bar and driving lights: Sheesh! They don't give the Excelsior Henderson accessories away anymore!

full-357-31892-ehfront.jpg

I bought a windshield too... still haven't gotten myself to put that on. My comfort says yes! The look says no! I may be taking a week long ride this summer. I'll probably mount it by then.

I also found an original Super X passenger backrest and luggage rack. I rarely have the passenger seat on so it may never get used... but it's nice knowing I found one if I ever decide to mount it.

Now to get some riding weather!

Good Luck!

Ken

Ha ha ha!!! It's coming. wink

That's a beautiful bike, LABS!

Been down in the barn the last few days tinkering with spring toys, and the bike as well. I gotta replace the "juice box" too! I must have a slow drain in there somewhere. Put a full charge on it last fall, but she's stone cold dead this spring. I've always had trouble with the batteries on this bike.

You have to buy one of those trickle chargers and leave it hooked up all winter! I pull all my toy batteries and put them down in the basement where I have made a charging station to keep up with them all. wink

full-27051-32409-full_27051_4589_picture