• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spear hole with ice auger

aquafang

Just overlap your holes and chisel the points.

You only need to auger 3 sides, on the fourth use your chisel. Just chip in a straight line and the block will snap off.

When I did it that way I set my house so I was looking at the side that was chiseled.

Just auger holes right next to each other (as closely as you can) then knock the points with you chisel to break them off.

Pull the block using some ice tongs and start scooping all the ice chips out of your hole.

+1 I find that overlapping your hole is not necessary.

So, once youve made your hole with an auger and leave your shack over the hole. Is there any tips or tricks to prepare it for the next time you return? Or just repeat by redrilling when u return.

If you plan to spear in the long run just get an ice saw.

You can cut your hole without moving the house... you can also angle the thicker ice that is comming too.

You can do all that with a ice chisel too but a saw works sooo much better... so for now chip out the old hole with your chisel or move the house and redrill.

So, once youve made your hole with an auger and leave your shack over the hole. Is there any tips or tricks to prepare it for the next time you return? Or just repeat by redrilling when u return.

cover the hole with insulation, the pink foam type will help it stay open longer or not freeze up as hard, I have also left my decoy sucker swimming in the hole just above the bottom of the ice this will help the water from freezing up also.

I would recomend a cover for your hole to stop unwanted intruders from stopping by like muskrats they will make a mess of your house in a hurry. frozen mud and weeds are no fun to deal with.

If you can afford it leaving the heat on low in your shack is a great way to be warm and ready the next time you head out ot the shack.

I have done all of the above and they work.

A ice saw is not nessasary but if you get one like Fishtoys Ice saw you will wonder why you waited so long to get one. The Ice saw is the only thing I carry outto open up a hole during first ice as it works to chisel a hole and cut it also and its a lot lighter than my chisel and auger. You can also cut a nice round hole if you want too.