• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Unit to check ice thickness

bbfenatic

It sure would be great if they'd come up with a way to show accurate ice thickness as an option on a unit.....maybe Marcum could figure that out in their next software release! Handheld units will give auto reading on depth thru the ice but would be cool to know ACCURATE ice thickness without drilling and measuring.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could "see" the bottom of the ice on your flasher screen if there was a lot of ice. Probably help to be in shallow water. Something like 2 and a half foot of ice in 10 foot of water, I bet you could see it.

I have no idea about the physics involved, but I think it would not work well with fairly thin ice and in deeper water. I think it would have a tough time with the resolution of say 6 inches of ice that close to the transducer and the signal going down and then bouncing back up through the ice. Not to mention frozen air bubbles, white ice, black ice, etc.

Interesting idea. I'm sure it would open up the flasher people to lawsuits.

I doubt their lawyers would allow them to sell a product like this. Ice thickness does not equal safe ice. Someone would end up suing them for falling through even though, "Your device said the ice was X inches thick."

+1, but a cool idea.

A few years back on "Ice Road Truckers" they had some device that was pulled by a lighter vehicle to check the ice thickness. The device transmitted some type of frequency through the ice to determine ice thickness.

Once they determined the ice was thick enough with this device they allowed the big rigs to travel.

Started to research how they build the ice roads.

Found a HSOforum.....Anatomy of an Ice Road.

This a quote from the site....

"In November and December the helicopters are launched again, flying the route using ground-penetrating radar to measure ice thickness. The builders then send out a light tracked vehicle, which gingerly creeps onto the ice to validate thicknesses."

So as Garage Logic has it your million dollar ideas already exists.

From another HSOforum....this one seams more practical

Sensors & Software's IceMap system delivers ice thickness in a readily used and practical form. The IceMap sensor, transported across the ice surface via truck, snowmobile or by hand, delivers ice thickness data in real-time. Data are presented as cross-sectional images on the display and as numerical values of ice thickness. The display is commonly mounted in a vehicle cab so the driver has a view of the ice thickness at all times. Rapid data acquisition enables the unit to be towed at speeds up to 80 km per hour.

"In November and December the helicopters are launched again, flying the route using ground-penetrating radar to measure ice thickness.

Now I need to convince the wife I need a helicopter for ice fishing. Maybe one of those dual rotor chinook jobs. Mount hydraulics on the gear so I can drop the belly directly on the ice. Ultimate mobility.

How many inches of ice for a chopper?

Started to research how they build the ice roads.

Found a HSOforum.....Anatomy of an Ice Road.

This a quote from the site....

"In November and December the helicopters are launched again, flying the route using ground-penetrating radar to measure ice thickness. The builders then send out a light tracked vehicle, which gingerly creeps onto the ice to validate thicknesses."

So as Garage Logic has it your million dollar ideas already exists.

Now if I could just get my hand on one of those ground penetrating radar thingys and a helicopter all would be solved. Darn, I missed my chance at millions I guess (even though I did not suggest I'd invent it and make millions) and all I wanted was a little hand held unit to carry to be able to check the thickness while ice fishing, snowmobiling, atving, cross country skiing, etc....oh well

hookncook:

Good point on ice quality vs thickness....I use a spud bar as well....idea may have not been a good one for all purposes as a spud bar is more for early ice icefishing and I was thinking more of any easy to carry electronic device for more than just fishing and was more curious if it could technologically be accomplished accurately - thx.