• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spearing on a regulation lake

Neiko

Thinking of heading to Red Lake and see that they have a slot of 26-44 have to go back. Anyone have any tricks on spearing on a regulation lake? I was thinking of lowering a white board with a mark of 26-44 to lay on the bottom of the lake for reference. Would love to spear a monster on there.

...Anyone have any tricks on spearing on a regulation lake?...

Give yourself plenty of room for error. If the regs are no 26-44"ers then don't attempt to spear anything 22-50". Probably just limit yourself to hammerhandles at that point unless you have alot of experience seeing hogs in the water and then measuring them to check length.

Bring a camera for the big ones!

Why aren't more people complaining about slots. Twentysix to fourtyfour, this is terrible. I've been forced to drive to a different lake because of experimental slot 24 to 36. I tried spearing on the slot lake, but you will make a mistake and I don't like spearing and releasing. If you can't catch big fish go without. Watching them is fun but I like eating them. They say the big fish are more contaminated, than they make us let all the fish get big. Pretty stupid regulations for a few who can't catch big fish. Besides, this summer I never even caught one northern, I think the slot is ruining the lake.

Thats how you fish a lake by removing the slots. The experimental slots are hurting the lake that I fish. If they were so good why aren't they on all lakes. Let them ruin a lake in your backyard and see how you like it. I've fished and speared this lake since the sixties and now I can't enjoy it because of a few is wrong. I said you will probably make a mistake, so it's best to not spear it. That's my advice that they asked for. I added my opinion on the slots because that's what I know. With one over 30 in mn. is sloit enough.

How to darkhouse spear a slot limit lake....

Sure wish we could all be man enough to sit down and come up with an honest answer to that question...

According to the MN DNR

Quote:

"If the distance from a pike’s snout to the start of the gills is 6.2 inches, you can be about 98% sure that the northern pike is shorter than 30 inches."

"Of course, if this distance is less than 6.2 inches, you can be quite certain that the pike does not exceed 30 inches."

"To be 98% sure that the northern pike is larger than 40 inches, the estimated snout to the start of the gill openings must be at least 10.5 inches."

"To determine the legal length of a fish, lay it flat on its side, squeeze the tail from tip to tip, and measure from the nose or jaw, whichever is longer, to the farthest tip of the tail when fully extended."

To successfully darkhouse spear a slot limit lake.. you need to use those guidelines and rules and be 100% sure of the length of the fish 100% of the time; while the fish is still alive, underwater, and 3 to 10 feet below you.

If you do not do this correctly 100% of the time; you have the opportunity to face the following.

Quote:

24.5" Slot Limit Northern Pike Killed by Darkhouse Spear

Maximum fine of $1000 and up to 90 days in jail.

Generally it would be a $225 Fine

$100 (base fine) +$75 (surcharge) + $20 (law library fee) + $30(wildlife restitution varies between $30-$90 for pike between 32-39 inches)

In addition, any gear used to take the fish could be confiscated (such as rods/reels, spears).

License revocation is a possibility if two or more convictions in a 3 year period, or if restitution value is over $500.

Public conviction record for the offender.

For now the the best answer (in my opinion) is to use a hook and line though your spearhole... that way if you kill a slot limit northern you just throw them back and continue fishing.

Quote:

24.5" Slot Limit Northern Pike Killed by Hook And Line

Northern pike must be immediately released.

Continue Fishing

Until the regs change that is about all we can do.

The MnDNR and the legislators are all aware of the problem... we just have to wait until they are ready to make changes to their laws/rules/regulations so all legal forms fishing are treated the same (or at least fairly) for the same dead slot limit fish.

Good Luck out there.

Spike if it is hurting your lake, I'm sure the DNR data will prove it and maybe then the DNR will go back to the way it was. Until then you have to just let it go and abide by the rules like the rest of u have to. Yes it does suck that you feel you can't spear it but thats the way it is, You can spear it but You choose not to.

As for the regulation Lakes, if you haven't speared a whole lot, you should get some time on other waters before persuing reg lakes there are a few ways to tell the size of a pike and time spearing for them is probably the # 1 way. You get a feeling of the size by studying the fish under these tpyes of conditions. If you spear long enough you will see big and subtle differences in pike like the width of the pikes head, the space between their eyes and others.

There are a couple of ways that you could try and one would be to take a piece of PVC tubing cut to the slot lentgh like you said but on each end add a piece of HI-VIS fishing line and a tip up bobber at the end of it this will help some to figure length but not fool proof.The lenght of line will depend on where you run your decoys and your best visability.

What ever you do Good luck

Pike79, that is a pretty good idea. I appreiate all your input and have decided because of water clarity and lack of spearing experience that I will just use a line and hook and leave the spear at home. Don't want to spear the wrong one.