• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My homemade ATV ice gear rear box

JSK76

So after looking hard at the Otter Monster box and online at other rear ATV boxes I came to the realization that the box I was looking for didn't exist. Nothing i would find was wide enough to fit my LakeWood rod case and I wanted something that would hall a lot of gear big gear like my generator and 20# propane to and from my wheel house and to be able to put my Clam one man Jason Mitchell thermal in it for the days i wanted venture away from the wheel house. I had a Swisher drop basket on it before but tongue jack on my wheel house would hit it the basket so that's why I opted to make it flat. All the rear flat racks I would find didn't have a front on it so when you hit the brakes your gear would slide forward and fall out plus they had only about a 5" to 6" side on them. Tomorrow I will try to get some pics with it loaded.

The box is made from 1/2" outdoor MDF plywood all edges routered and a full gallon of Raptor Liner to make it fully water proof! I was able to use the 4 factory mounting holes for the rear rack to mount it and it has a 10" side.full-26462-27678-image.jpg

full-26462-27679-image.jpg

full-26462-27681-image.jpg

Looks nice!

I built something similar I have on my 400 sportsman. I had to beef up the mounts for the front of the rack. The weight hanging back there would break them.

I plan on putting the heavy stuff up front just to be safe.

Looks Store Bought- nice job, and using the Raptor coating rather than paint is a cool idea.

Have a couple of questions:

Did you use extra braces on the corners?

1/2 ply doesn't give much area for screws, nails etc.

How much strength do you think the coating helps on the corners?

Good Luck Fishing

I used water proof Tight Bond glue and an electric Dewalt nailer and nailed it every 2". I didn't brace it but it seems solid so far, I backed up to the tongue of my fish house and it was off about 5" from lining up so I grabbed the top of the box and rocked the four wheeler back and forth until it moved the four wheel over to line up with tongue and the box didn't even show any sign of weakness what so ever. The coating won't give it any strength at all.