• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lowrance Ice Pack Float setup

gill man

I just received a Lowrance Ice Pack (PPP-18I) to use for my Lowrance 520C.

Their instructions on how to hang the transducer with the "depth adjustment cord" are pretty basic. Is looks like you're supposed to put the depth adjustment cord through the hole in the transducer, then form a loop and tie to cord to itself. In theory it seems like it may work but in reality the transducer doesn't want to hang perfectly level this way. The adjustment cord is stiff enough to not allow the transducer to hang level.

Does anybody just hang the transducer right from the transducer cord? Will it cause any damage to the ducer/cord connection as long as you treat it well?

By the way - if you have a unit with blue connectors you need to buy extra stuff for everything to function. You'll need an adapter cord to get the "uniplug" on the transducer to plug into the blue connectors. You'll also need to get a power cord for main and gps power. I pulled the one from my boat.

You can get a kit for $60 that has the transducer adapter and power cord if you want to just spend the money. At that point you're up to $200 to make the kit work. I was lucky enough to get the adapter cord off an auction site for $15. They normally go between 35-40.

The kit says you will need to buy these things if you have an HDS unit. My 520 isn't an HDS unit - if you have BLUE connectors you need to purchase other items for $40-60 to make it work also.

Tucker

Is anybody out there using the Lowrance Ice Ducer? Do you feel it is okay to let the transducer hang from the transducer cord or are you actually using the depth adjustment cord that comes in the Ice Pack Kit?

Thanks much,

Tucker

Thanks guys. I just hang my Vexilar too - have been for 15 years. I wondered if the Lowrance transducer was not made to hang from the ducer cord - why else would they spend more money on the elastic cord? That depth adjustment cord seems like a pain and I think I'll just run the transducer cord also.

Thanks,

Tucker

Vexilar is the only one that can sell the float,they have a patent on it.

That is why Marcum has the arm and Humminbird has the cable thingamabob and Lorance has the Dohicky.Just do what everyone ends up doing. Go buy a Vex float and stopper,a Marcum arm or go to the hardware store and get an eye bolt.Any of them will work.

Vexilar is the only one that can sell the float,they have a patent on it.

That is why Marcum has the arm and Humminbird has the cable thingamabob and Lorance has the Dohicky.Just do what everyone ends up doing. Go buy a Vex float and stopper,a Marcum arm or go to the hardware store and get an eye bolt.Any of them will work.

No kidding! This boils down to a patent? The Ice Pack does have a float but you're supposed to rig the float on a "depth adjustment cord" rather than on the transducer cord. I suppose doing it this way allows them to not copy a patent.

I'll be hanging mine direct from the cord also. Just wanted to make sure it was built to hold up to doing so.

Tucker