• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pumpkin Pie

Fresh pumpkin can get kind of mealy and sometimes does not "cream" up as well....a little soggy. The canned companies have very specific varieties grown for them....blends even. Have had better luck with squash....cant remember the name, but the orange, kind of top shaped one....sweetie pie...or something like that, they do taste just like pumpkin though. As for recipes....usually just grab a basic online one like on the can and substitute.

Found this from an old Thanksgiving post.

Just got done with a run through. It is homemade 1/2 pumpkin 1/2 squash. last year did one of each and the squash pie was way better. This year combined the two because it just doesn't seem right without the pumpkin. Old fashioned simple recipe.

2 cups of mashed squash/pumpkin combo

1 can evaporated milk

3/4 cup sugar

2 tsp pie spice

1/2 tsp salt

2 eggs

Do your thing and put it in a 9 incher. Bake at 425 for like the first 15 and drop it down to 350 for the remaining 40 to 50 minutes.

full-27018-14123-2011_11_18_12_09_50_414

I just gutted a bunch of pumpkins from my yard this fall. It made great seeds, a great pumpkin bread made out of the stringy guts, and also good puree. The puree was good for lots of things such as pumpkin pasta sauce but as others stated, specifically for pumpkin pie you are better off getting it from the can. I think that this is one of several examples where the canned product tastes better and undoubtedly makes the baking process easier.

I like canned pumpkin although I've had good luck with fresh pumpkin too. I like to use dark brown sugar or half dark brown sugar and half white. Avoid the canned pumpkin pie mix. Tried one the other day as we bought it by mistake and it was NOT good.

I use canned pumpkin. A good tip is to cook it in a pan with the sugar and spices until it is hot and bubbling. Gets rid of some of the water and the canned taste. This year I also added a can of yams in syrup, drained and put pumpkin and yams in food processor. MMM.

full-1100-27612-img_0180.jpg