• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye Rod for trolling shad raps and crawler harnesses?

efishsport

If your talking about crawler harnesses with bottom bouncers, the only rod I've done both long lining crank baits and also bottom bouncers/harnesses is a st.croix wild river 10' 6" medium power /moderate fast action......I've got rods specifically for both, and that's what most will probably suggest. If i had to pick one trolling rod out of my arsenal, that would be the one...longer than probably used to, but had enough power to fish up to 3oz bottom bouncers /3 ways in current, and soft enough to troll cranks with hard line....I've got a Sealine17 on mine, but you could get away with a regular baitcaster if you've already got one. That particular rod will be over your limit, but if you can, go for it.....really fun and versatile rod. Good luck

ugly sticks for me...for exactly that purpose. LC reels with fireline. Can longline shallow, snap weight, run DT's deep, BB's with slow death or spinners. Very versitile set up, cheap and durable.

if you went with uglies and magna LC's you could get your whole set up for less than your $125 target.

My bottom bouncer rods are just that, bottom bouncer rods. St. Croix makes a line of BB specific rods that double as great crankbait rods. They come in the entry level Eyecon line up to the Tournament Walleye line. They feature a moderate action which allows the fish to take the bait without feeling resistance from a faster action rod. Ugly sticks accomplish the same thing but lose the finess feel due to their fiberglass construction.

I run mine with Quantum Accurist reels, they feature a flipping switch that allows for fast line adjustments.

I have rods in both the Avid and LT lines, paired with the Accurist reels and Suffix 832 30# braid (8lb diameter) and this is an absolute knock out combo. With this combo you can feel if the crawler has slipped and not in the right position or if the blade stops spinning due to weeds or other junk.

In your price range, you can get the eyecon on sale for a little under $100, and the reel on that auction site for about $40. Slightly over your budget but IMO it's the best BB combo out there.

I'll add to that, that I have many different rod manufacturers that I use, from St. Croix, G. Loomis, Shimano, Cabelas and Okuma. The St. Croix BB rods are what I have found to be the best deal between forgiveness and feel. The Medium Moderate is my go to BB rod and I use it up to 3 oz weights.