• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

95 pound Wolf in Ottertail county

Hoffer

Wait, wait. wait!! I'm thinking "Alaska wolf". That makes a difference and the wolf in the story is certainly a nice big healthy wolf for this part of the world.

Probably fattened up on cats, dogs, sheep and lambs, foxes and calves, deer of course and the occasional zoned out weed smoker stoned under a tree.

Carry on men. Don't pay him any attention.

They mentioned Henning and Deer Creek in the article, all of my wolf chatter comes from that area where several of my relatives own land, before this hunt/trapping they(federal trappers) took out more than 2 dozens in that area. Actually the last 3 years or so they've trapping in Ottertail county the fed guy, he said one night he called and had 3 packs answer back, hopefully they can get them out of this farm country somewhat. Thankfully though the wolf may spare someone's hunting ground as they will work from the feeble to the healthy ones, I'd guess at least once, maybe not, but maybe once a wolf ate or killed or whatever'ed a CWD deer sparing the slaughter of the rest if found by a human.

I never heard that they were put there, if so how'd they do it live traps or tranquilizer style ? The fed trapper never mentioned that. I'd assume like the wolf in this story they filtered in following the leaf river bottom route or simply just from north to south as that area is the transition from farm ag/ to timber etc. That is part of why old zone 4 the boundary used to be US HWY 71 on the right going north zone 2 on the left to North Dakota zone 4. Either way they're there and makes you wonder like where do they cross HWY 10 at between Perham and Staples to go south or are many of these being born south of 10 I'd assume at this point with established packs. Will get a ton of Ottertail county wolf reports over Christmas when we all get together.

Quote:
The Henning and Deer Creek wolves were all put there a few years back I believe, and now they are trapping them back out, seems kind of weird.

Thats been a rumor for years.

We did work with the USFWS office out of Fergus Falls on our property.

I asked the guy we were working with about this rumor... He said they get quizzed about things like this an awful lot. He said, "its amazing the things that get conjured up on a bar stool." grin

There have been wolves in the leaf river bottom for quite a few years now. I would guess that the pack grew, the pack kicked out some of the young, and they found a new territory a little further south. It sucks they had to pick a slough to make home a 1/4 mile from my deer stand.