• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question on Tree Stands

Lindy Lee

So I am a newbie to the Archery world. My 13 year old daughter has talked about wanting to get into archery off and on for about 3 years. About a month ago I took her to the local archery shop and let her shoot some arrows down the range. Of course I got hooked as well. So for her 13th Birthday we gave her a new bow and all the gear. Bonus was that I was able to purchase a bow and gear for myself as well.

Question is, do you guys hunt with your kids out of a portable tree stand, or do you use ground blinds?

If you do use a tree stands is there a brand that works better for 2 people that is lite?

I plan on talking to some local farmers to see if we can hunt their land next fall, so that we can leave the stand out as I guess these are not something that you want to move around a lot.

Thanks for the replies!

I have taken out my daughters at the age and earlier.

What worked best for us was a double treestand that you can purchase at almost any store, like M.NA..S, Fl..t F.R., Ca..be..., or GM.

The blind does work wonders for movement and keeping them out of the elements.

If you go to the double tree stand, make sure its the big one.

The smaller doubles work ok for gun hunting for 2 people, but archery, I would recommend the most rooom you can get.

Good Luck and Welcome to the wonderful world of Archery

My dad used to set up a portable tree stand for me at that age. Usually only about 6 or so feet off the ground so if I wanted to I could climb down with little danger of hurting myself. We always put our stands up when we are going to hunt and take them down when we leave.

What I did Lindy for the first Full season with my 12 year old at the time is used a 2 man ladder stand and sat with Him. As Rippin said make sure you get the Bigger two man. Really not enough room for both of you in the average two man.It worked out really well. I Didnt bring my bow with most days and I Rattled and called for him and handed him his snacks and sodas. I really miss those days. No Ipods, No cellphones. Just him and I in a tree. For the youth Hunt at Ripley this year we used a ground Blind but I prefered the 2 man ladder stand much More. Congrats on getting started. Its so much more fun to hunt with your Kid.

I'd recommend a two-person ladder stand over a blind as well. A blind works great for younger kids, but she's at the age where a stand would be ideal. You're able to see so much more being elevated. It's a great feeling sharing your passion with the ones you love most!

My dad started taking me bowhunting with him when I was three years old. In the early days, he would find trees that had two or more trunks, or two trunks right next to each other and just hang two portable stands side by side. As time went on and I was able to hunt myself, he strategically put our stand sites a couple hundred yards apart. He would walk in with me help me into the tree and then leave and go sit in the stand a couple hundred yards away, and come back after the sit to help me down. He'd always leave me with a whistle in case i needed anything. We did this until i was comfortable climbing in and out on my own. I am truly grateful for all of this work he put in for me to allow me to get introduced to such a great sport, and am sure that your daughter will be too. With our first bowhunting excursion taking place 17 seasons ago, we look back and talk about all of those memories from way back when sitting side by side all the time. When I was in 2nd grade my dad arrowed a Pope & Young 12 point non typical at 6 yards while I was right next to him. Needless to say I was hooked after that. A lot of memories made that i will surely cherish forever. Whether you go with a ground blind, ladder, or two portables, you'll have a great time and never regret it. Good luck!

Hi Lindy Lee,

Great job getting your daughter out in the outdoors! Shoot me a PM and I can get you a little more info.

Check out the link below- I do a lot of hunting with my 8 year old son and also take my five year old daughter out a fair bit too. Given her age, you can probably get your daughter up in a double ladder stand with you without a problem.

I'd bet a good bit that if you and your daughter went out this coming Spring/Summer from March to June and asked around, you'd get a bunch of people who'd not only let you hunt, they'd probably help you out. I'm sure many would let you leave a double ladder stand up too. It's pretty tough to say no to someone trying to get their young daughter on a deer with a bow (some still will, obviously, but I bet some won't too).

Beyond that, I think you've been given great advice above- I'd listen to it!

hunting with kids