• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thoughts on Conibear Pans??

Greetings, I just finish my first Marten/Fisher season. I purchased 12 Belise conibears. 6 120's and 6 220's, so 12 traps out and I was able to get 2 Marten and 1 Fisher, so I felt pretty happy. The question I have is I have been reading a bit about pan triggers online. Some swear by them and others use the wire triggers. I would like to also catch a bobcat some day. With the new laws with 7 in setbacks would a guy be better off putting pans on all of my traps? I plan on purchasing some more 120's and some 160's. I have no plans on water trapping pretty much just trapping during the Marten and Fisher season. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I guess my main target would be Marten and Fisher. I don't see myself doing any blind sets. I prebait for Marten and Fisher. I guess my main question is if I had a bobcat going to my bait would I have a better chance at getting him with a pan rather then a wire trigger? I know they don't like going in boxes, but would I have a better chance with a pan rather then a wire trigger. Seems like they would be able to view the bait better with a pan versus a wire trigger. Thanks

I use pans on my 220 cubbies for fisher, marten and cats. With cats the pans more often get tripped with their chin which results in a good catch. A cat does not like pushing its face into something with resistance such as trigger wires and there are always exceptions to the rule they can be caught with triggers but my preference is pans for cubbies. Touch the wiskers on a house cat once and see how much they like it. Seems cats also like a larger opening and preferably the option to walk through this is why on my cubbies I use a wire mesh back to allow for a see through cubbie and for scent to flow through the box. just my 2c. Good luck!

Jonny, When using pans on 120's how far is your trap from the bait? Thinking the boxes I made the distance from bait to trap is to far. My 120 boxes are 20 inches long with the trap set 2 inches from the opening of the box. Thanks for your help I'm getting more traps for x mass, so I will have to build more. Thanks again!