• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Arctic Cat Problem?

HOGEYE

I have a 1995 or 94 440 cougar (1 carb). The last time that I had it going it ran fine. I just started it the other day and it bogged down. Now ot will only run if I have the throttle down all the way and it just barey runs and is very very bogged down. I replaced the fuel filter and that didn't help. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb and it ran good until it had burned up the cleaner and then bogs again. I think that I need to clean my carb, but am unsure how to do this. Also when I pull off the carb I can't get the choke cable off of the carb (which prevents me from completey removing the carb). Any help would be great.

[This message has been edited by HOGEYE (edited 08-03-2004).]

You have the right Idea, the carb needs to be cleaned. With out having a Artic Cat carb in front of me, I would suggest taking a break from the project, think it over and return to it... usually the answer will come to you... Works for me most of the time. smile.gif

------------------
Just Having Fun!
Love to Fish.

That is your problem- DIRTY CARBS!!!

Do NOT run this sled this winter until you get the carbs cleaned. You'll be running lean and burn down a cylinder, or 2!

I'm assuming the carbs are Mikuni. If I'm not mistaken, you should be able to unscrew the choke cable from the housing and pull it out. The throttle cable comes out by unscrewing the round cap on top of the carb (if your carbs are round slides), pull the big spring out, and disconnect the cable from the bottom of the slide.

Other than that, take the float bowl off, pull the jets out & fuel inlet valve. Shoot all the passages full of carb cleaner and blow them out good. Chances are the jets are a little plugged and either cleaning them or replacing them should solve your problem.

Pick up a Clymer repair manual for your particular sled, it should detail this step by step. After you've done it a couple times, its a piece of cake.

I got the carb off. The choke plunger was stuck and it was very difficult removing it but I managed. I think that the reason it was running like that is because the choke was actually stuck in the on position. I need to buy a new plunger and cable now though. It is a Mikuni carb.

HOGEYE, good obsevation on the Choke being stuck. That might very well be part of the problem.

For some reason, I've developed this urge to go work on my sled. Since the Arctic Cat doesn't need any wrenching, maybe I'll pull the old Sno-Jet out and do some tinkering. That sled has put on more miles in the garage than it has on the trail!

I think that my main problem is indeed the choke being stuck (However, I will still thoroughly clean the carb).

I need a new cable now and they want to sell me the whole cable assembly; in reality I only need the actual metal cable with the little catch balls on each end. I don't need the coated cable as it costs around $30. Does anyone know if I can just buy the cable itself? Can I just buy a piece of cable and cut it to size (I don't know how the little end catch pieces work)? The Cat guy says it only comes as one piece. Should I just buy it or what? I appreciate the help and comments.

Trottle cables and choke cables are only sold as one piece. the exception to the rule is the lever assembly. You can purchase the lifter block and lever separate if that is the only part broken. If it is boogered on the end you need to purchase a new cable. I would also recommend you get a new plunger srping. for they don't come with a new cable or the new plunger I believe.

Hey now I own a '95 cat. I pretty much paid for it twice now. So its like having a new sled again! tongue.gifgrin.gif

One of these years Im going to upgrade to either a newer cat or a mustard bucket. I just cant wait for that year tho! tongue.gif