• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pheasant hunt this weekend on public land yet??

mnmofro

A buddy wants me to go hunting pheasants this weekend on public land within an hour of the metro area. I typically take to the first two weekends of deer season off since I am a public land hunter and don't feel the need to risk myself or the dog. What do you guys think? I know it's public and all but some people will do crazy stuff, I don't want my dog to get shot someone claiming he was chasing deer, which he doesn't do.

Unless you know a farmer your hunting experience will always be public land. I have hunted with my lab 13 years on public. Your biggest concern are those you hunt with, barb wire or traps. I would just excercise common sence and for pete's sake go. If it is a small parcel and there are other hunters..move on. I do not hunt personally during deer season. Too much orange around. So on that note, I agree. Slugs or bullets can travel a ways.

With the deer season in farm country running just two weekends ... and pheasant season running through year end ... it is probably best to avoid pheasant hunting over those two weekends.

The vast majority of farm country deer hunting accidents and fatalities occur when groups are driving large sloughs, etc.. Fortunately for the pheasant hunter nearly all (if not all) of the people shot are shot by someone in their own hunting party. Still a sad situation though.

If you chose to go ... try hunt spots where you are the only person there. If a group shows up and starts a drive ... let 'em have it even though you were there first. Get your dog on heal, stay high and visible and move on ...

OR get to your vehicle and watch them hunt. If pheasants are moved, watch where they go ... hunt 'em later or the next weekend you get to this property.