• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

'72 399 panther bogs out

98prosport

I am looking for some tech advise, maybe from someone with experience of owning one of these older sleds.2 cyl fan cooled motor. seems to start and run great at first, for a few miles,then it starts to bog down, sometimes even stalling. but, it will restart. Water in gas? bad ignition? It runs very well "when it runs". Any ideas?

Let the gas settle for a day then siphon some off the bottom of the tank and look for water.

I'll guess and say your starving for gas. Either a plugged filter, cracked or loose gas line, or weak pump.
Theres also a pickup line in the tank with a screen on the end. One or both of those could be bad.

I just cured this (and hard starting) on my 75 Lynx this winter. It starts first pull now.

I took the tank off and cleaned it with carb cleaner, rinsed with pure gas. I replaced the pickup tube and in-tank intake screen, as well as fuel tubing and inline fuel filter.

I removed, disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt the diaphram fuel pump and carburator. Replaced spark plugs. Re-adjusted idle stop, air screw and throttle slack.

It's reborn now!