• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I can admit it

I can admit I am getting my butt kicked! I trap as part of my living and as I said before it’s a great life but a horrible living.

I have five rats compared to last year’s two truck loads, one mink, few yotes, one little otter, one red fox and a handful of raccoons. This date last year I was making my second trip to the buyer as the freezers where full again. This year I put in another huge chest freezer to accommodate the in round fur yet I could fit everything but the coyotes in my stand up freezer in the house, since it is empty and out of groceries. I haven’t even taken the stretchers down out of the rafters yet.

I can’t figure it out but nothing around. 31 miles of ATV trap line and a little over 200 sets out and all I am doing is burning gas. The one track I crossed in the snow was a red fox and the first set he came to he was caught.

How are the rest of the trappers doing? Bang or bust?

I can admit I am getting my butt kicked! I trap as part of my living and as I said before it’s a great life but a horrible living.

I have five rats compared to last year’s two truck loads, one mink, few yotes, one little otter, one red fox and a handful of raccoons. This date last year I was making my second trip to the buyer as the freezers where full again. This year I put in another huge chest freezer to accommodate the in round fur yet I could fit everything but the coyotes in my stand up freezer in the house, since it is empty and out of groceries. I haven’t even taken the stretchers down out of the rafters yet.

I can’t figure it out but nothing around. 31 miles of ATV trap line and a little over 200 sets out and all I am doing is burning gas. The one track I crossed in the snow was a red fox and the first set he came to he was caught.

You must have caught everything last year. How is the grouse population over thataway?

I'm hitting par but I don't run near the trapline you do. Agree with the lack of rats. Everything here is bone dry. Little or no water in any of them. Have not heard of other guys having much luck with mink and rats.

Coons and skunks are EVERYWHERE tho. I've lived here since 95 and have never seen this many skunks.

Not as many rats here as last year but still enough to keep me busy skinning. Had out over 50 traps and averaged about 30 a day so about 150 rats. Had a conibear sprung in fairly deep water near a bridge, someone had thrown several baseball sized rocks at it to spring it, decided to pull that one rather than lose it.

Coons and skunks are EVERYWHERE tho.

Agreed! I've never seen a raccoon on our hunting/gardening property before, but this year (making an assumption here, since they seem the likely culprits) raccoons did some damage to our corn, and I've seen raccoons on three separate occasions while walking to set up my deer stand. The population definitely seems up.

I'm hoping to get one by bow/arrow if I'm ever within range.

Its been slow here to Jonny. Not much of anything around. I am just trying to pay for gas this year. LOL. My time must be worth nothing.

No doubt! I picked up a yotes this morning and then had my heart broke. Nice otter sprung a coni last night, my water line is checked after the land line giving the eagle enough time to pretty much skin the otter for me.