• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tags

Eric Wettschreck

The wife and I were hangin in the garage this evening when a really nice golden lab showed up. He was a heck of a nice fella and goofed off with my GSP mix real well.

I know a bunch of fellas with goldens so I called them all. "Nope, my doggies at home." was the response I got.

Dangit. Now what does a guy do.

I looked over his collar again and noticed a neat little tag. It had the owners name and phone number on it. I made the call, the owners wife came to get the dog. She's a real nice gal, nice dog, good day.

Around here every now and then a dog just comes up missing, especially during pheasant season. If the collar didn't have a name and phone number on it I really can't say what would have happened. In the end, I saw the number, made the call, and doggie is back home safe and sound. Good ending.

This made me think. I'm getting a tag for my dogs collar with my name and phone number on it. Hey, it happens. The phone number thing on the collar is a REALLY good idea.

My GSP mix has the chip, and that's a good thing. However, around these parts a chip doesn't really do diddly. The phone number on the collar was everything.

Just tossin it out.

Phone number is it for me. I never put my name, address or the dog's name on the tag. Waaaay too much info for strangers. I usually put reward on the collar also. I would imagine most people would turn it down, but I'd have no problem throwing a $50 bill at someone for keeping my dog till I got there.

The dog's name makes it easier to consider keeping the dog. The first major hurdle has been cleared if they know the dogs name. Also if they know you are out of State hunting and your address is on the collar, who's to say they would not make a phone call to another schmuck and pilfer your house while you are away. Hate to be cynical, but the world is becoming more and more filled with less than desirable people each day. All they need to know is call this number, recieve some cash. SIMPLE! I actually started writing my cell number on the collar with permanent marker. If I still did tags it would be a riveted on brass tag.

All my hunting dogs are chipped also. I used to tattoo back in the 80s and early 90s, but since the advent of chips, have not done it since. If you do tattoo, inner rear leg or belly is the spot. Never the ear. There were cases where part of the ear was cut off to remove the tattoo...

Good Luck!

Ken