• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What camera to buy wife?

So I want to surprise my wife for x-mas and get her a nice camera as she has been mentioning that she would like a nice camera to take nature photos and better pics of the kids. What would you recommend would be a good starting camera in the $600 or under range? I love looking at the photos in this forum and I am hoping that with this small investment I can get her interested in coming out in the woods and on the lake with me more. Thanks again

I bought my wife a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Digital Camera.

Its basically a hybrid in that it has many similar features of a DSLR but does not have changeable lenses. She loves it and it takes some very nice pictures considering neither of us have any experience in photography. Also does full HD video.

The new one is a DSC-HX200V witha few minor changes and runs about $425.

It rates pretty well in online reviews too.

thanks Macgyver55!!! I will look into that camera...probaly the way to go to peek her interest in photography and if she is really into it then we can upgrade in the future to a camera that can take multiple lenses.

Just to update I ended up buying her an Nikon D5100 as this was a decent deal and I read better reviews than the D3100...So what are the opinions on the Nikon D5100? Anyone have any pro's and con's or expierience with this camera?

Thanks- Ozzie

Jumping in this thread as I'm also thinking about getting a camera as a xmas gift for my lady friend.

Anybody have experience with the Nikon 1? I noticed the price dropped to $400. (I'm completely camera ignorant)

Can't really afford to go above that price range right now

I shoot a D5000 and so far I really am enjoying it. Found it at a pawn shop and the price was right. :>) The 5100 is a step up from my 5000. Easy to use and lots of settings. I shoot in P mode most of the time but learning S,A and M. I got a 55-300 to go with the 18-55 for it and love it. If I had the loot I would get the 18-300 so I would not have to switch lens but 990 bucks is not in the immediate future. maybe some day. I use elements 8 for fine tuning and editing pics so I'd recommend you get some kind of program to do that. I also have a Canon powershot SX30 IS that I still have fun with. 35 power zoom. Thinking of getting a Nikon CoolPix P510 with the 42 power zoom for fun. But if I do that it'll be a longer wait for the 18-300 so probably won't. Have fun with that D5100!

Craigums, take a look at the Canon Powershot SX30IS or the Nikon Coolpix P510 for fun. The zooms are a ton of fun. If not going with SLR these would be a couple to consider. Looks like they have a 40 and 50 now also but over 400 bucks. the 50 zooms to 1200mm sheesh! The P510 is under 350.