• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Starting after long period of time

Yukon Don

I bought an Arctic Cat Panther new in the winter of 2001 and put about 20 miles on it and had it summerized by the dealer at the end of that season. It has a tank that is 3/4 full (stableized). I never started it since then due to no snow and other priorities. Should we get snow, what do I need to do prior to starting? I have heard that I should drain the gas and have the carbs pulled and cleaned. Is this necessary? 20 miles of riding is my experience with a snowmobile so please excuse my ignorance. If the carbs do need to be pulled, is this something that I could do not knowing anything about it? Is there a web site that tells you how? Any help would be appreciated.

Yukon Don

Have you tried to start it right now? If it runs, no need to fix or do anything.

If the dealer summerized it, and they went through the proper procedures, there's no reason it shouldn't run. The fuel should be OK.

Hi ChuckN,
Thanks for your reply. No I haven't tried because of all the horror stories people are telling me and because there is no snow to really do any trail riding (Brainerd area). I was told that if there was a spec of green *&^% in the carb that I could wreck the engine, so I haven't done anything. I would just like to start it and run it due to not starting it for so long. You think it would be OK?

I would Drain the old fuel out at a minimum. Today's fuels are junk. YOur carbs should be fine if the dealer drained them. Be to be on the safe side pull off the drain bolt on the bottom of the carb and be sure. 5 minutes of checking is better the $1,200.00 bill for a ne top end on a brand new sled. grin.gif

------------------
ride safe, wear a helmut, stupid hurts

If you get'em serviced, wash'em first.:D

Give it a try sometimes it takes a little pulling to get the gas flowing through the lines to the carb.If your able to start your snowmobile in the summer once every 3-4 weeks there is no need to summerize it,just put a little stable in the gas tank.

I'm sure your snowmobile is fine. It's not even broken in yet...
Just make sure there aren't any mice living in there....they crawl into the exhaust system, in the air box to the carb(s), etc. I've started a machine and inhaled a mouse nest through the carbs...not a good deal.

Start the sled and run it a little. At the end of the season the most important thing to do, in my opinion, is fog the carbs and cylinders if you are storing the machine for long periods of time. I've been doing it for years and some machines I have never touched a thing!

Lift the hood and take a look at the carbs air intake, Mice really like the foam rubber and setup nests there.
Not being run for that long isn't good.
Gas goes bad, carbs plug, your crank and cylinder walls dry up and bearings pit.
Fogging is fine but you should drain gas and run the sled every year then summarize it again. I store my sled in the garage and start it up throughout the summer along with a gas stabilizer added to unoxigentated gas.
Draining the bowls and looking for green or sediments isn't a bad idea. I've seen 3 engine cook and its always happens within 2 hours on the first trip. Your sled my start right up but if the carbs are a little dirty it'll run lean and you wont notice it till its to late. Its a crap shoot, if it were me I'd clean the carbs and be done with it. Makes riding a lot more enjoyable knowing everything is right.