• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Too much fuel

fishin

Hi, I have a 1986 Polaris indy trail with the 488 air cooled motor. Last year I rebuilt the motor replacing the pistons. Since then It has used tons of fuel way more than it should. I rode it a max. of 30 miles and it sucked up about 5 gallons of fuel. It runs really well, starts fairly easy and has plenty of power. It maxed out at about 72mph@7200rpm. I have replaced the spark plugs, took apart and cleaned out the carbs, adjusted the carbs according to the repair book I have, replaced the throttle cable, and I also rebuilt the fuel pump. So I am not sure what to do next. I am thinking the choke isnt adjusted properly yet. Any easy ways of doing that? In my book it isnt too clear. So, I apprieciate any help. Thanks.

Wow. The rings are definitely set then. It almost sounds like the jets are too fat, but you are on the right track with checking the choke setting first. If that checks out ok, I would maybe try a leaner set of jets and keep an eye on the spark plug color to see what kind of an effect that has.

------------------
Steve @ Bakken's Boat Shop www.bakkensboatshop.com

If the sled runs good could there be a fuel line leak somewhere? Were the lines replaced? They get brittle with age and crack. A hole in the tank? Check your mileage again. 7200 RPM: is that too slow for that engine? I'd also think that as optimistic as Polaris speedos are that you'd be able to go faster in some conditions.
If it runs good it shouldn't be a choke or any other problem.
Good luck,

Kevin

I replaced all of the fuel lines last year and when I took apart the carbs the jets were the correct size that the manual says should be in there. I dont see any obvious leaks and the fuel tank is fine. I have adjusted the choke many times according to how the repair manual says to but their way is not to clear. I am gonna check it again next time I am at our cabin where it is kept. Only other thing I havent checked is the timing. Could that be part of the problem? Thanks for the help so far.

When you adjust the choke there should be some free play in it. Remove them from the carb bodies and loosen them to the point the springs with barely hold the plungers on. then put them back in and give them equal turns back out on the adjusters until there is just little play in the lever then they will be adjusted correctly. And 7200 rpms could be as much as it goes but check your manual in there it should tell you what max rpm it.

------------------
ride safe, wear a helmut, stupid hurts

If you get'em serviced, wash'em first.:D

I get about 100 miles on out of 9-10gals of gas on my 96 XCR. Sometimes less miles if I'm screwing around in powder or goosing it alot. If that helps.

[This message has been edited by PAPA BEAR (edited 01-14-2004).]