• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

TRACK'S

letsfishjeff

Hey this is really dumb buttt. What kind of tracks do you guys recomend for riding in MN. I do ditchs trail and lake. My sled is a 800 Storm with a 15"X121"track
It has lots of studs. When I get a new track I really dont want to stud it since they are kinda hard on things. If I did stud again it would only be 96 or so.
Any recomdations?

Sometimes dealers will have new take off tracks when someone wants a paddle track installed. Ask around.

Go to Google and check out rec dot sport dot snomobiles, and post your question there. There are a lot of folks there who can probably tell you excatly where you can find what you are looking for. I have learned a lot there over the years, if you can filter out all the useless posts that are on uesnet forums.

Kimpex (and others) also sell tracks that are predrilled for studs. Dennins Kirk, Shade Tree, HP Engineering etc. should carry these.

For a standard length track sled in Minnesota, I prefer a standard length lug. I have a .75 inch on my old XCR, and .9 inch on my XC. Some people like the 1.25 inch paddles.

Good luck!

people talk about "fully clipped and cliped every third window. What is this"? I realize I need a high preformance track for my sled. Do thease clip configurations make a differnce? I have checked out dennis kirk. I like the camoplast tracks. not real sure of the performance differnce. Do know I want to stay with a 1" to 1.25 paddle height. Also what is pitch?

Clips are the metal bands around the rubber pieces that connect the outer belts to the inner belts. The clips on the tracks run underneath the hifax slide strips. For a Storm, I would want a fully clipped track.

I believe most tracks on the Polaris sleds in your vintage were Camoplasts.
Not sure the answer to you pitch question.

I have put many a track on many different sleds. Most of all people are not going for 1.25 tracks. To make up for not having studs. The track I would recomend on getting i the Camoplast Predator. You would be amazed at how good this track hooks up with no studs in it. I put it in anything from a indy 400 to a thunder 1000 and have zero complaints. They do offer a new version called the Ripsaw. but from what I've been told from my Yamaha rep that they hold patent for it for 2 years. So you would have to get it from Yamaha. They are putting it on the 04 Viper S and the RX-1 warrior.

I was a religious believer in studs until my last two snowmobiles which two years ago I bought a ZR 600 and last year I bought the Patriot Firecat F7. Neither studed. Put a paddle track on it and they hook up just fine. Still like studs also though so its a matter of preference. I'll never go out of my way again to buy them and put them on though.

So I should stay with a 1" or smaller track?
Fully clipped or every other? I dont really want the weight or expencece of studs
For ice and brakeing they are nice but if you hit some dirt on a corner they dont let you slide around. rather tip me over.

Letsfishjeff,
I'll add my .02 If you are going to stud at all, use a track with less than 1" lugs for a couple of reasons. #1 reason is weight. The deeper the lug, the heavier the track, plus you will be adding the weight of the studs. #2 reason is that if you stud a track with 1" or deeper lugs, you have to use a pretty long stud. Some people don't have problems, but I see and hear about a lot of studs breaking and/or ripping out of the tracks.
I want to second the vote for the 1.25" Camoplast Predator. I have them on my last 2 sleds and really like them. They hook up very good and also help in deep snow. A stud will still be better starting and stoping on glare ice, but 90+ % of the time, the 1.25" will do you right.
Feel free to drop me an e-mail if I can help with more info.
[email protected]

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin