• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heron stalking through lillys

I got out to a wetlands area yesterday to try out a new 50-500mm lens, more sun and fewer clouds would have been nice, but at least it didn't rain.

It was amazing how long and how still the heron could hold this pose. If I didn't know it was real I would have thought it was a decoy it was so still.

DSC_0562.jpg

500mm, ISO 900, 1/500th, F/6.3

A 50mm view of the same scene

DSC_0561.jpg

50mm, ISO 280, 1/500th, F/4.5

DSC_0569.jpg

500mm, ISO 560, 1/500th, F/6.3

It didn't to do badly tracking the heron in flight, a higher shutter speed would have been nice, but that's not the cameras fault.

DSC_0571.jpg

500mm, ISO 900, 1/500th, F/6.3

I have the 150-500 and I've been happy with ISO over 1600 on my old Nikon D90 and well over 2000 on my D7000. I like to keep that lens above f8 at 500mm. I don't know what camera you have but give bump up your ISO and see what you think. I was surprised when I did with mine.

I like the shot with his one foot sticking out of the water, nice work. And have fun with that lens.

Thanks!

I used to have the 150-500, shot it for a few years, on that copy I didn't notice much difference at F8 - I really enjoyed that lens. I've only had the 50-500 for a couple of weeks now, it does seem to be noticeably sharper at F8 vs F6.3. I was using a D300s for these shots. Depending on the light it does well up well above ISO 2000. ISO 2000 in good light looks much better than ISO 2000 in shade.

For example the same day I took this shot at ISO2500, F/6.3, 1/500th

DSC_0538.jpg