• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

speedometer not working

northwoodsman

I've never heard of a speedo moving when the track isn't but if it were just no longer registering speed maybe I can offer a suggestion. Two years ago my EXT's speedo stopped working a few miles into a ride. Moments later I felt a little rumbling in the chassis that either decreased or stopped on that ride. I remembered it at home and found my driveshaft's bearing went out where the speedo drive is at, under the clutches. A new bearing and a spring-like speedo drive key later everything was fine. Good luck.

Kevin

Arctic Cat Oh Arctic Cat, You can check to see if the cable is broken between the angle drive and the speedo head. Remove the cable from the back of the speedo head. Now try to twist it with your fingers. If it twists freely, you've got a problem with the angle drive. get yourself a 1/2 inch wrench and a 1/2 inch deep socket and socket wrench. Remove your drive belt. Next take the bolt out of the center of the jackshaft that holds your secondary clutch on. slide the clutch off. If you can get the secondary off the shaft plave your drive belt on the clutch push on the button head to spread it open and use the belt to keep it that way. It will probabley get the clutch off the jackshaft the way. Next take the three nuts off the angle drive. They are not welded to the chasis in any way. If you can't get them all the way off, reach up inbetween the tunnel and the drive shaft. Feel for the bolts. They are castle bolts. Hold them in and then back off the nyloc nuts. Once they are removed pull off the angle drive there should be a short pin there. If it is broke in two pieces you may need an angle drive. If there is nothing wrong there you need a speedo.

Steve,

I had about 2500 miles on my 1994 EXT Mountain Cat with EFI when this happened. Exact mileage unknown as we take the hoods off on warm spring days. We often ride late in the year, even into July in 1993 and 1995. We usually put them away by early June however because it's a pain to park at the end of the snow in the morning and come back at noon and find your truck is 200 yards from the nearest snow. Go through the bearings and the angle drive. I hope it's a quick fix for you.

Kevin