• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coon with lights

Raccoons

Night Hunting

A person may take raccoons between 1/2 hr. after sunset and 1/2 hr. before sunrise only in accordance with the following regulations:

• Hunters must be on foot.

• Artificial lights may be used to locate, attempt to locate, or shoot a

raccoon only if the raccoon has been treed or put at bay by dogs.

• Rifles and handguns used must be .17 or .22 caliber rimfire

(including .22 magnum).

• Shotgun shells may not contain shot larger than No. 4 bird shot.

Other Restrictions

• A person may pursue and tree raccoons with dogs, during the closed season and without a license.

• A person may not take a raccoon in a den or hollow tree, or by cutting down a tree occupied by a raccoon.

Fox and Coyote Night Hunting

A person hunting for coyote or fox from Jan. 1 to March 15 may use an artificial handheld light if they meet all of the following condi- tions:

• While on foot and not within a public right of way • Using a shotgun

• Using a calling device

• Not within 200 feet of vehicle

We can not hunt coons at night by artificial light without the aid of dogs no matter what time of year it is. The coon has to be treed by a dog before you can even legally look for it in the tree.

When I was getting the artificial light law pushed through the legislature, I had raccoons included in my proposal. Rep, Tony Cornish removed raccoons from the proposal. When I asked him why, he said during that time of the year they are either sleeping or mating and we should leave them alone. My mouth about hit the floor. I was too dumbstruck to ask him what about deer, or turkeys.

Anyway, no coons after dark without dogs. The good thing is that coons can be called out of a den tree during the day with coon puppies in distress sounds. And, it's fun!

I have had some rather in depth discussions on how to legally kill coon as it is one of my bro in laws (the CO) and my favorite things to do in the winter months... for me its a chance to get out in the woods in the winter when I have more time... But, We have had this discussion, and I suppose there is a chance a different CO may interpret this the same as you...

So, it seems whoever writes the reg book, doesn't know proper english and they can't read a calendar either as they have the youth deer season that actually opened today,(oct. 18th), as not starting 'till sat. the 20th in the reg book....

To be on the safe side, if you're planning on going out after dark and treeing some coons without a dog....I'd put a comma in your reg book after "treed," and carry it with you in your pocket...if a CO checks you and trys to write you up...show him the comma!! smile

So....here is the statute right from the Mn legislative/statutes HSOforum... I find it interesting that in, the "Published" regs we get, Someone decided to word it slightly different...it is pretty plain here...It's like they're intentionally trying to confuse the actual law!

From the State Statute...

(2) may use an artificial light only if hunting with dogs;

VS (From the Reg Book)

Artificial lights may be used to locate, attempt to locate, or shoot a

raccoon only if the raccoon has been treed or put at bay by dogs.

97B.621 RACCOONS.

Subdivision 1.Season.

The statewide open season for raccoon may be set by the commissioner.

Subd. 2.Period for treeing raccoons.

Notwithstanding subdivision 1 and section 97B.005, subdivision 1, a person may use dogs to pursue and tree raccoons without killing or capturing the raccoons during the closed season and a license is not required.

Subd. 3.Nighttime hunting restrictions.

To take raccoons between one-half hour after sunset and one-half hour before sunrise, a person:

(1) must be on foot;

(3) may use a handgun or rifle capable of firing only rimfire cartridges of .17 or .22 caliber, including .22 magnum; and

(4) may not use shotgun shells with larger diameter of shot than No. 4 shot.

Subd. 4.Prohibited methods of taking.

A person may not take a raccoon:

(1) in a den or hollow tree;

(2) by cutting down a tree occupied by raccoon; or

(3) by setting fire to a tree or using smoke.

History:

1986 c 386 art 2 s 46; 1987 c 81 s 1; 1993 c 51 s 1; 1993 c 269 s 19; 2005 c 146 s 33; 2008 c 368 art 2 s 56

Gosh I didn't mean to kill the discussion! frown

So does anyone see in the Statute, that you cannot "hunt" coons at night unless you have a dog? Here's the 3 criteria for night hunting Raccoons....

(1) must be on foot;

(3) may use a handgun or rifle capable of firing only rimfire cartridges of .17 or .22 caliber, including .22 magnum; and

(4) may not use shotgun shells with larger diameter of shot than No. 4 shot.

I take it, that you can still "hunt" Raccoons at nite...as long as....

(1) You are on foot

(2) You don't have an artificial light,(use natural moonlight)

(3)/(4) You use a legal calibur rimfire rifle or shotgun with 4 or smaller shot...

or you could use...a club, spear or other implement to kill the Raccoons. But you gotta kill them coons 'cause it says elsewhere in the regs that you cannot remove a wild animal from the killsite unless it is dead! smile

Sorry. I wasn't clear. I said "no coons after dark without dogs." I should have said, "No coons after dark with an artificial light without dogs."

Lichen Fox is right in his assessment about the law. You can call in 'coons on a moonlight night and shoot them as long as your weapon meets the caliber restrictions listed and you don't use an artificial light.

If you use a light without dogs and try to convince the CO that the law is poorly written, you can expect a ticket and the directive to take it up with the judge.

So if I happen across a coon calling fox/coyotes at night even under a full moon with no artificial lights by law I have to pass on it while carrying any one of my predator guns (.223 22.250 or shotgun with heavier loads than #4)...WOW, never knew that! Really don't see the logic behind this. May have to start carrying the .17 more often than not. Certainly would be great sport to be able to hunt them with a call/light though.

It's not about logic. It's about law. HA HA HA.... When it comes to legislators making laws, there's often no logic. Just like Rep. Tony Cornish telling me to leave the coyotes alone because they are either breeding or sleeping during that time of year.

But you are right. If you don't have a legal firearm, you can't shoot them legally.

By the way. A friend of mine recently (a few years ago) got .22 mag and .17hmr law changed. It used to be only a .22lr or shotgun with #4 shot or smaller. Same thing with the deer season use of .17rem and .22mag. Didn't use to happen.

We tried for more. Didn't get it.

I would assume this limitation is in place for sure circumstance... beings the pelt most likely would be destroyed with a high power... There are a lot of people that would not pass on the opportunity and would shoot shovel and shut up...

will do!!! Do you go out with dogs by chance? If you are going sometime just let me know, I am probably game, especially over winter early spring...

Yes we hunt with dogs. I am down to one dog now, I got rid of my old dog last fall, he was getting a little lost in the woods. I had plans to get a new pup this spring, but the breeding got a little messed up, and I balked on the deal. I am going to hold out now until early spring again to get another pup. The one dog I have hunts good on his own, but its always nice to have more then one nose on the ground. I will go out a couple times before gun deer season, just to get the dog in shape, but I usually wait until the hides are prime before hunting hard.

awesome, I have only been out with dogs once with a guy from out west of st peter. He came down to the mapleton area and hunted some of our old farm ground. I got a kick out of it... He let the dogs run, and followed on mules... I have heard recently that riding mules is no longer allowed, but I have not read that, just heard it... I do not see why that would be a issue... Raccoons and yotes seem to be in abundance this year... Ran a locator siren friday night and had 4 sounding withing a few hundred yards of our house... Not to excited about getting after them yet, but a couple more weeks and it will be alot more tempting to leave the scatter blaster in the pickup and dust off the .243 and fox pro....