• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Surface Tension Help!!

river-rat4

You seem to be the go to guy for snowmobile knowledge.

Is there a good way to boost the suspension on my 70 Panther. I read a thread, I think you said you boosted suspension on an old Ski-doo to around 8" and was great for slush and powder. Mine seems to be tired.

Any information would be great.

Thanx- RR4

p.s. Anyone one else- knowledge is power.

If your suspension is a standard slide rail suspension without a lot of bogey wheels (which I'm guessing it is) you can find a new gas shock to put in place of the old one and get new, better springs. That will help you a bunch. The thing about those old Cats is that they don't have a lot of tunnel room, so be careful not to get too crazy.

Mike

I took the old suspension out along with the rear Axel. The only thing left was the track and front drive. This was some time ago and I THINK I replaced it with a newer 80's blizzard suspension. It took some froggin around to get the limiter strap adjusted. First test drive was like riding a motorized rocking horse.
Because I was using the same track while getting more lift and travel the track area on the ground is a little shorter but the benefits of more clearance and ride was well worth it. If it didn't work out I would have just put the old suspension back in. At that time I probably had half a dozen old sleds sitting in the yard all running and ready to go and just wanted to try it plus a ton of parts to pick through.

Theres not much improvement you can make with your existing suspension besides freeing up stuck boogies springs and rear springs.

Hey,Surface tension and crossin eye's,

I don't have any other sleds around so if mods didn't work, I'd be hoofing it.

Is there a better/worse gas shock?

Would it be as easy as just swapping shocks or would I have to modify the sled in order to get the aftermarket shock to fit?

Springs? Is there a different tinsel or stiffness available for a 1970 Panther?
(it has slides, not bogies)

I realize that it is Thirtyfour years old and can't expect to have it ride like an X-10 but any thing I can do to help would be great. I do not want to spent a ton of dough, being it is mostly a tug sled for my otter.

Thanks guys, RR4

1970s Arctic Cats had suspensions??? Not from what I remember. IMHO-Put it in a museum and buy a $500 early 1980s Yamaha or a late 80s Indy. One can be driven nuts trying to fit odd systems into a sled. Been there, tried it, rarely worth the effort unless you have a lot of time/rivets/unskinned knuckles, etc. to spare. Good luck!

Kevin

river-rat4
A shock wont lift your sled. Theres not much you can do with your existing suspension other then making sure the pivot points aren't frozen with happens from sitting around and rusting. Yes the springs get weak also but old sleds didn't have much of a suspension when they were brand new.