• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Throttle Cop - anti theft device

jjr

I recently had 2 sleds and a trailer stolen that were stored on some commercial land in Ham Lake, MN (they were recovered by the police smile.gif. Both sleds had the Throttle Cop lock device over the handlebar to deter theft. But, both of these devices were ripped out of the handlebar and damaged during the theft. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows of the manufacturer of these and what guarantee they might include with their product? Also has anyone had this same experience (hopefully not)? Any other ideas for theft protection on the sleds? Also, who is the best insurer for sleds, I learned the hard way that I need insurance on these! Thanks!

About 7 years ago I had my car, trailer and 2 sleds stolen from my apartment complex. The sleds were locked to the trailer and the trailer was locked to the car and the car was locked.
40 days later my car was found parked in a snow emergency zone and towed to an impound lot. The crooks had broken a window and punched the steering column to hot wire it. the sleds and trailer were never found.
I have had (and still have) State Farm Insurance. I got absolute 100% cooperation and resolution to my problems. They cut me a check and were very fair about compensation for my used sleds. I don't feel I pay any more on premiums (in fact I have shopped them and they are less than a lot of places) and I get great service.

I'm glad to hear you got your stuff back!

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

i put a toggel switch under my hood to kill the ignition switch, then we locks several sleds with a cable and lock.theses are over night storage tricks. long term storage, good insurance.did you pay for the storage at the commercial place? if yes, they should cover the sleds and trailer.

Well if you are storing you sled outside heres some tips that I remember from a snowmobile mag.
Always take your keys out
Take the cap off the spark plugs and then gently put them back on to make it look like they're on there
Take the belt off
Shut off the gas
Lock the break on
And im sure there is more things you can do to trick a person from not stealing your sled.

------------------
Fish ON!

I had a good neighbor chase off 2 people in my yard trying to steal my sleds. I left my sleds on a trailer overnight after a weekend of riding. Generally I stored them in the garage but I got back late and didn’t feel like dragging them off the trailer. My 70 yr old neighbor noticed 2 people walking around my trailer.They pulled them off and opened up the hoods My neighbor walked across the street with a cordless phone and a tire wrench. When they saw him they took off. When I got home he told me about what happened and I was so grateful he had the balls to do what he did. Even though we moved away from that neighborhood, he will always be on my Christmas card list. We need to look out for our neighbors and question whatever doesn’t look right.