• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wanted: Use Salt Shield for Trailer

Greg Clusiau

You might get lucky but most shields are sold with the sleds. I made mine for about 20 bucks. First thing I did was place a 1" X 10" on the front of the bed to extend it about 7 inches to allow room for the sled skis. Then I used 2" X 2" to constuct a frame to which I placed 1/4 inch plywood to form the shield and mounted it to the front of the extension. I nailed a strip of 1/4 on top of the shield and created an over hang of about 3 inches to catch the road dirt. I braced it on both sides and in the center with 2 X 2's and tilted it back slighly. I painted it with some extra paint I had laying around. It has held up for 3 years with no sign of deterioration and my sled and tent arrives with very little road wash.

It's a tilt trailer. Also, I was pondering the idea of making one out of plywood. Sounds easy enough and I don't think it would add too much weight. However.......if I can find a ready-made one for the right price, I just might go that way. Thanks guys....GC

Be real careful about adding much weight on the front of the tilt trailer unless you have a good way to secure it in the tilted position when you are loading the sleds. My dad has a Karavan 10 ft tilt and even with a fiberglass salt sheild, he has to have someone stand on the trailer so it doesn't come up.

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin

had a friend use gas shocks and the shafts bent in 1 year. i installed a pair of springs on the bed tilting bolts. the only way to go. never bends, leaks gas, freezes up.it adds approx.80 to 100 lbs of lift to trailer tilt. with no sheilds,it is great. release the bed hold down and the trailer tilts by its self and stays. ever tired loading a machine when the trailer would not stay tilited?

To: Crossin-eyes

I would say the shield I made weighs about 20 -25 pounds. The key is to use the lightest plywood or material possible. The trailer does need some light counter-weight. I gennerally have someone to put a foot on the edge of the trailer when I load. I am rarely by myself, but if I am, I use my toolbox to provide the counter-weight. Doing this is a consession I make for having saved $150, but it has never been a problem.

Animal-
Good ideas and a great way to save a guy some bucks! My dad does the same type of thing. He carries a small piece of 2x4 and wedges it between the trailer and tongue when tilted. I got lucky when I bought my trailer. I bought it in Feb and got a salt sheild free in the purchase.

------------------
Good Fishin!
Crossin