• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

doesnt want to idle ?

rmh2o

I have a 95 jag 440 that doesnt want to idle and wants to bog out when you hit the throttle.It seems to run fine at higher speeds on the stand.I took off the carb and gave it a good cleaning and replaced the plugs but that didnt help.Any suggestions?Thanks

You may have bad gas or bad fuel pump possibly.

I would put my money on the carb. There are very fine jets hidden in that carb and one or more must be plugged. They are hidden inside. Tear it completely apart (all needle valves/jets) and take a spray carb cleaner w/ the high pressure straw and clean out every little nook and cranny inside that carb.

My friend has this problem every year and there's one specific jet way inside the carb that gets gummed up and the engine hardly runs.

I'd have to say the same thing CD did.
It might look clean and pretty but one clogged jet and it wont run right.
The carb should be soaked in carb cleaner overnight. Then use a small wire to pass through the opening and jets followed up with a spray can of cleaner. The low speed jets are small and it doesn't take much to plug or restrict them.
If you had a a bad pump, lines and leaks it would show up under higher speeds first.

If your %100 sure the card is clean look at the clutch with the engine off. Is the clutch opened up with the belt riding low?

Update I went thru the carb again and drained the fuel tank and put in fresh fuel but it still runs the same.There is a good flow of fuel when I pull off the fuel line so I dont think it is a fuel filter.The clutches seem to be engaging OK to.Due to the lack of snow I cant run it under a load.When it wants to quit at idle I hit the choke and it will run fine for a little bit.Im thinking fuel pump but it seems to be getting gas and runs fine at higher speeds.

sounds like the low speed jet is slightly plugged or out of adjustment. try turning the jet in, and count the turns,till it bottoms out. then turn it back. if no help, turn it out one turn and see if it runs better. closing the choke slightly and it runs says you are not getting enought gas.

Update I rebuilt the fuel pump and put on a new fuel filter and it seems to have solved the problem.Can anyone tell me how to properly set the pilot air screw and the idle speed screw on the carb?And how often do the clutchs need to be serviced and what to look for.Thanks again for the replies.

A good rule of thumb is 1 1/2 turns on the jets. I would have put money on the carb being gunked up. I have 5 sleds to maintain yearly and the symptoms you had were typical of clogged jets. I have the best luck when I fill the tank full,use stabil and then shut the fuel flow off and drain the carbs. Fog the engine heavily.Then before the first ride I drain about 1/2 the fuel and refill with fresh. The old gas burns just fine in my snowblower so it wont go to waste. A clutch should be looked at often for stress cracks, but the actual rebuild can vary from 1000 to 3000 miles depending on your style of riding. I average about 1500 per.

[This message has been edited by Beerbatter (edited 11-29-2003).]