• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need a little advice on AC WildCat 1993

Captain Ken

Bought my first sled, a used 1993 Arctic Cat Wildcat 700. The skis are kind of rusty, so I am going to repaint. Don;t really want to incur the expense of buying some new ones. The carbides are pretty worn down in front and back but the middle one, the long one, looks pretty good and like there is alot left. Is it time to replace them or is there life left? Is this a normal wear pattern (front and back ones wear down first, middle one last)?

Thanks!

Ken

Captain Ken

I am sure you have the metal skis on that sled yet.... You are correct most runners will wear down in front and back, leaving the center area with more carbide. The reason is the snowmobile ski (spindle)is not centered on the skis like the newer models.. one way to check this out when your not moving is to move the handlebars, if they turn hard that means the pressure is not in the center.. I had to change that on my 1991 thru 1995 ski-doos I owned.

The other thing is what type of riding your doping to do?? that might influence what to do??

Good Luck

------------------
Brother Bro

Work Less Play More

Thanks Guys!!!

At this point, this is my first sled. Decided that this year I would get a sled so I can get back to my place in the woods near Vermilion. The past few I have been largely able to use the truck in 4WD, but I thought in light of the low snow the past few years, I would get a used sled and then join the rest of you in hoping for lots of snow!! smile.gif

Mainly, I plan to use it to get to our cabin which is way back in the woods and also to haul my stuff around to my favorite ice fishing holes. I suspect we will ride across the lake for fun on occasion. So that is the plan for now. May change once the bug bites and I go flying across the frozen lake a time or two. Then I may get to be hard core.

I have heard of plastic skis being better. Rather than immediately going out and buying new plastic ones, I thought I will give my rusty metal ones a little rehab for $10 worth of black paint and make sure the sled runs good etc before spending $300 on plastic skis. Bought it used and is supposed to be OK but you know how that goes....

Appreciate the advice to date. Given my goals, any suggestions on plastic ski companies?

Ken

most wear rods, mounted to bottom of ski, have three carbide strips for steering. as posted , the front and rear usually are flat and the center is v shape. if all three or more are present, they should be fine for the riding you have specfied. plastic skies have more give for ruff riding , take more abuse than metal skies, dont rust, less friction on snow and lighter. some say they steer better.personaly, till you do more trail riding, i would not change. just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks PJ. All you guys have really helped me increase the knowledge base on sleds. To me the flatter front and back carbides in contrast to the nice, high one in the middle suggested it was time for a replacement...I appreciate knowing how it works. I have ordered a copy of the repair manual from teh library and I am waiting for them to get it from another library. That should help too I hope!

Ken