• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

engine trouble

northwoodsman

i have a 83 yamaha enticer did the
compression test the spark plug on the right
was 100 psi the left one was 50 psi
it won't start i was told by this kid
it ran got it home and it won't start
i paid $ 100 for it i have a feeling i got ripped off, there's no spark

If you only paid $100 you could probably part it out and come out even or even a little better. One would expect with the major compression difference that the one cylinder was likely to have bad rings or a scored cylinder. It may be that it needs another set of pistons, rings and gaskets to make it run like a champ. Is it worth another $200 or so for a sled that runs? If not, advertise in Manney's or an online auction HSOforum. Good luck either way, too bad it turned out sour for you.

Kevin

I've resurrected a lot of sleds that are a lot older then that 83 Yammy. I hate to pronounce them dead.
I don't believe it has a lanyard with kill switch but there is a kill on the right side handle bar. It should be in the up position to run. Have you tried new plugs. How confident are you about your compression test? I take it you've probably checked the compression a couple times to make sure of your finding? Cross your fingers and hope its a loose head or gasket. Torque the heads down retest. If its still low pull the head and inspect the gasket. Good Luck.

If you were closer I would drop in. I'm just NW of Duluth. That low side could a have stuck ring also but lets try the spark for now. What about the kill switch on the right side? Another thing to do is eliminate the off/run/light key switch by lifting the hood and pull the socket/plug out of the back of the switch.

try spraying alittle oil in the low cyl.then check comp. if it comes up to match other, then have a bad ring, if not, major cyl problem, broken ring, hole in piston, hole in cyl wall, ect. next pull spark plug wire and insert a phillips driver and hold the shaft close to ground( metal on engine) pull engine and watch for spark. helps to pull both spark plugs for this.ive seen rings stuck in piston and after soaking cyl. with diesel for a week, it losen up. was lucky