• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1996 Polaris 425 Magnum

MuskieJunkie

The old Magnums were pretty darn good machines. One thing I would pay attention to is the condition of the chains and sprockets. I would also check to see if the clutches have been recently gone through and serviced as well as the belt. Other than that, they were good machines!

here is an old post of mine about these older polaris models

first and foremost these older models are just a constant maintenance battle, not really that they break down more. just a lot of upkeep and some old designs that have been upgraded 2 or 3 times since then.

Then most importantly, the front drive system for the 4x4 is a total nightmare. Its a chain drive (later years upgraded to shaft) I would'nt buy a front chain drive even it was new off the showroom floor, and Polaris gave me a lifetime warranty.

some other parts of concern would be the rear axle carrier. I would jack the rear end up of the ground and check for any play in the axle bearings. Its very easy to spot a problem here.

I would also check the swing arm bushings, this can be test when you look at the rear carrier.

other wise some smaller other wear and tear items would be tie rod ends and the steering post bushing.

If you can get it cheap and you know how to wrench go for it, but otherwise like I said, these older models require alot of wrenching.

Thanks for the input guys, I'll check all the things you mentioned.

rundrave - I kind of guessed that would be the case with an older polaris. I'd much rather have a Yamaha but just can't justify spending a lot of money since I won't be using it much. Really the only thing I "need" this for is ice fishing and only that window of the season where the ice is thick enough to drive an ATV but too thin to drive a truck.

So like I said I really NEED one- HA! wink