• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Two heads of purple cabbage- what to do???

For the cooked cabbage ideas can't help you much sicksmile But do love it in a colorful and tasty slaw. Just google a recipe or what I do is add some mayo/yogurt till the desired creaminess, green onions for color effect but regular would do, and balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper to taste. Let this set up in the fridge for a half hour or so and enjoy......

Blaukraut

roughly 2 1/2 lbs. red cabbage

salt

1 onion, peeled and finely chopped

2 apples, peeled, cored and cut into 3/4 inch chunks

4 T butter

3 T red wine vinegar

1 1/4 cups dry red wine

3/4 cup vegetable stock

4 cloves

2 bay leaves

1 T sugar

pepper to taste

wash red cabbage, cut into quarters and cut out the hard stalk. cut cabbage into thin strips, put into a bowl and add salt. mix well with your hands. add butter to a pot and melt at medieum heat. add onions and apples and lightly steam. add vinegar and red cabbage. cook at medium heat for 7 minutes. add wine, stock, cloves, bay leaves, sugar and pepper, mixing in completely. reduce temperature to low and let stew for at least 45 min. good luck.

Cabbage hotdish

---------------

Brown two pounds burger and large onion, salt and pepper to taste. Take the biggest roaster you have and chop up one cabbage, large chunks are ok, it cooks down, put in as much as possible, leaving room for burger, put into roaster, top with browned burger and two cans tomato soup. Cook one hour at 350, stir, cook another 1/2 hour. Simple and good. If using a smaller roaster, cut back on the burger and soup. Variation, add can of kidney beans and/or stewed tomatoes. Making it this week, think I'll add some fresh tomatoes, I have lots left in the garden.

thanks, just planning tonights meal and i think i'll make this. something new is always good. is that the concentrated tomato soup with no water or tomato soup ready to go. also do you add the diced tomatoes with the 2 cans of soup or do you sub the 2 cans of diced tomatoes? thanks. good luck.

Here is what I would do next time around.

1. Coarsely chop the cabbage and dump it all into a large heated dutch oven on the stovetop with olive oil. Stir and saute for just a bit until the cabbage starts to wilt down a bit. Add salt and pepper during this time.

2. Throw in several tablespoons of butter, along with some cider vinegar and some brown sugar and mix thoroughly. I do this to taste, though I am sure there are a number of recipes on the web.

3. Then put the lid on the dutch oven and let it braise at about 350 for 45 minutes or so.

This is a perfect compliment to any pork meat or dish and pretty good with venison too!

thanks, i'll give that a shot as well. yesterday i did Blackjacks recipe and i added minced garlic, two cans of butterbeans, two cans of diced tomatoes along with the two cans of tomato juice to two heads of cabbage, burger and onions. turned out very good. will have leftovers tonight as well. i will try your way also. i do like cabbage this time of the year. good luck.

Here is what I would do next time around.

1. Coarsely chop the cabbage and dump it all into a large heated dutch oven on the stovetop with olive oil. Stir and saute for just a bit until the cabbage starts to wilt down a bit. Add salt and pepper during this time.

2. Throw in several tablespoons of butter, along with some cider vinegar and some brown sugar and mix thoroughly. I do this to taste, though I am sure there are a number of recipes on the web.

3. Then put the lid on the dutch oven and let it braise at about 350 for 45 minutes or so.

This is a perfect compliment to any pork meat or dish and pretty good with venison too!

This is very similar to our Polish fried cabbage. We start with bacon and fry in pot till semi crispy. Remove from pot. Leave a couple tblsps of dripping and add couple of pads of butter.

Follow your recipe exactly except we add half and onion and a clove of garlic. I cover and cook about 25-30 minutes. Usually add a few ounces of beer to the cabbage as it braises.

The last 10 nimutes crumble up the bacon and mix into the cabbage. Another shot of fresh crack pepper and walla... awesome dinner or side dish! Love it with vension!

Good Luck!

Ken

yep... needs salt. Deerminator had it in his recipe... I usually add with pepper during the cooking process and only add black pepper again at the end. If someone wants more salt after serving, they can certainly add more. I bought a head of cabbage on Sunday and had this on Thursday's menu.

Good Luck!

Ken

Cabbage hotdish

---------------

Brown two pounds burger and large onion, salt and pepper to taste. Take the biggest roaster you have and chop up one cabbage, large chunks are ok, it cooks down, put in as much as possible, leaving room for burger, put into roaster, top with browned burger and two cans tomato soup. Cook one hour at 350, stir, cook another 1/2 hour. Simple and good. If using a smaller roaster, cut back on the burger and soup. Variation, add can of kidney beans and/or stewed tomatoes. Making it this week, think I'll add some fresh tomatoes, I have lots left in the garden.

My mom has a recipe that seems quite similar.

She takes a combination of rice, ground beef, some red sauce (probably tomato) and wraps that in cabage leaves, those go into a pan and into the oven.

Mmmm

Cabbage rolls she calls em.

thanks, i'll give that a shot as well. yesterday i did Blackjacks recipe and i added minced garlic, two cans of butterbeans, two cans of diced tomatoes along with the two cans of tomato juice to two heads of cabbage, burger and onions. turned out very good. will have leftovers tonight as well. i will try your way also. i do like cabbage this time of the year. good luck.

Glad it turned out for you!!! I usually use the condensed tomato soup but this is a hotdish, variations are ok!!!

Also, I had cabbage pretty much the same way I prepare it at the Suppinkuche in San Francisco as a side dish to venison tenderloing with red plum sauce and spaetzle. Pretty sure I spelled the latter wrong. That was an excellent combination all around with some heifenwiezen. Again, pretty sure I murdered the spelling on that.

Tried Blackjack's recipe recently and it was great and a big hit. I'm having leftovers for lunch today and I will use it again soon. Thanks, Blackjack. I have used a similar recipe for soup using more tomato soup and beef boulion which has turned out great also.