• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

where do you fill up?

minneman

In my previous post, problems, turns out thats the prob. as I stated I did the summerizing and started w/fresh this first time out.
I bought fuel, 90 oct. non 02, at a local conv. store. Id rather not say where. Cat originaly siad they wouldnt cover it. but i provided a report of a test of the fuel that had been done within days pryor to me filling, and proof that I purchased gas there. Cat is now supposedly going to honor the waranty..
I have no fuel testing knowledge. but in thinking about the establishment, and amount of buis, the fuel may have been...who knows how old?
Also a good friend of mine used to own an Amoco, he told me that the refineries formulate the fuels for summer and winter, differently, to bring more in to the picture, so how does one know what your buying? And where do you feel comfortabe buying? I wont be buying fuel there in the future.

I buy non-oxgenated fuel for my sleds. Most stations have one pump that is labeled as non oxygenated, and is is usually the higest octane.

I don't buy it for the octane content, I buy it as there is no oxygenating agent in it. The oxygenated stuff seems to leave residue in carbs if it sits for any length of time.

I also run a bit of Seafoam in my tanks as wekk.

I Always Run the highest Octain gas at the station! If i am in hinkley MN, they have a conaco with leaded gas, My sled Gets way better gas mileage and runs better with that stuff in! try leaded gas it is awsome. My 800 is a screamer it needs high octain gas!

Octane is good to a point, but you can get high enough in octane to where you are just throwing your money away. Most high octane gas at pumps is fine, and should not cause any adverse conditions. My '95 XCR 600 actually calls for 91 minimum octane, unless I put a shim under the head to lower the compression.

I was sledding a few years back on Lake Gogebic in the UP of Michigan. This joint where we were eating breakfast had 100 Low Lead on one pump, which is avaition fuel. A couple of guys with me decided to buy some, thinking it would up their performance. I warned them that it was a mistake, but they just had to try it.

Their sleds ran like dump, as their engines did not have enough compression to get the stuff to acheive efficient combustion. The higher the octane count, the more resistant to detonation the fuel is. The 100LL fuel had their engines running cooler, and they were fouling plugs like mad until they got that stuff out of their tanks. It was a 30 dollar lesson well learned.