• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hard surface welding

2k1stang

I need to hard surface some stuff on my parents' farm equipment. Just wondering if there's anything I need to be aware of. I've got 8-10,000 hours of welding experience, but have never done hard surfacing. It will be done with a wire-feed. I've Googled it, and I've seen some stuff about different patterns, etc. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Thanks.

A lot depends on what you are resurfaceing and how it wears and how much use it sees. You may need to weld the whole surface or maybe an X pattern will do or sometimes welding on wear bars/plates may be needed. You can tell a lot just by looking at how it is wearing. A good weld shop will tell you what wire to use. A picture would really help.

The hard facing or hard surface welding I have done with a wire feed was on a hammermill for scrape iron and the best thing you can do is to get the metal that you are hardfacing pre-heated up to a temp of 250-350 degrees so that you get the propper penatration of the hardfacing wire. If you dont preheat it it will not last as long.

Check with the manufactures specs on what the temo should be.

They make temp sticks so you know when you are at the right temp to weld at.

Also if you can get a needle air hammer as this will aid in removal of the flux from the wire and will prep the weld for mulitple passes

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.