• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Suggestions for Golden Retriever Family Dog

handsonguy

Hey all, I am looking for suggestions as to where to find a nice Golden Retriever. It doesn't have to have great hunting lines, but more importantly good temperment. TI am getting this as a gift to a family member. Any advise/direction is helpful. ps...the cheaper the better! Thanks

I'd maybe contact the Golden Retriever rescue group. You will most likely be able to find an adult, mild mannered golden from them. I think there is only a very small fee to adopt. do a web search for them, I'm pretty sure there is a chapter in MN.

Good Luck!

Ken

I think Labs has offered an excellent idea. I assume the family member you are getting the dog for is aware of your plan and willing to accept a dog into his or her life. Makes a big difference. I'm sure you're way ahead of me here but there have been unfortunate situations where someone surprises a person with an unexpected dog and it has not worked out well for the recipient OR the dog.

A nice Golden will make a sweet pet.

We have raised and bred registered goldens (only 2 at a time)as our family dogs for 20 years. We research the pups we purchase by seeing what 3 year olds from the parents are like, and look for hunters (for ease of training)with family demeanor, even though I don't hunt birds or water fowl. If you have any doubts about the pups keep looking. Our dogs' pups were all intended to be family dogs who can hunt if so trained. We have paid upwards of $750 for quality dogs. Our pups have all sold out well before letting them go by being able to point purchasers to prior litter pups. We limit our females to two litters so as not to wear them out (which means no more pups from us for several years). If you do your home work you will get a good dog. Also, if looking for a female, look to see if the dam or her prior pups, if there are any over 4 years old, are overweight.

Thanks, for the info everyone...what will end up happening is my family members and I will give them money to buy the dog as a wedding gift...They have indicated that they will be getting a dog shortly after their wedding. I don't want to pick it out for them, but I just want to give them some good options as to where they can get it from.