• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Newbie Advise

I am in the process of buying a house a little north of the cities area and am interested in getting a couple of snowmobiles for my girlfriend and myself. We have never owned one and have very little knowledge of what to look for. Not much money left after the house purchase either so we'd like to keep it between 2-3K for the two... Closer to 2,000 the better... Any recommendations on what to look for? I suspect we will be mostly just cruising around and pulling the ice house out on the lake and such...

Thanks,
Chris

Thanks,
Chris

Hey Chris,

Well, as much sa you THINK you will just use it to pull the sleds on the lake and such, you will more then likely end up a snowmobiling enthusiest.

We got our first sled with the intentions of using it for a sled hauler, and 3 months later had 2 brand new machines and put 200 miles a weekend on them ever since.

Look for something with less then 2,000 miles, in the 440-500 cc range. Easy pickins lately and your price goal shouldn't be too hard to stay within.

PCG

I would try to go with the 500cc. Because with a big fish house that 440 might not get it done in some tuff conditions. And also try to go as new as possible some of the older sleds with 3,000 to 4,000 miles on it might be on the verge of lots of fixing.
Just my 2 cents. smile.gif

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

Hey Gilligan!

Another idea might be to go to a snowmobile auction! Just make sure you bring someone with who knows sleds! Smith's Auction sales in East Bethel has these once or twice a month! Otherwise I know a guy out of Rush City who buys and sells sleds he usually has a good selection and he seems to have pretty good pricing! If you need more info let me know!

Cory Frantzick

------------------
Visit us on the web at www.Athomeonthelake.com

Hey Cory,

I'm interested in seeing what the guy you know in Rush City has. We have a friend who knows alot about sleds so the auction thing might work too... What do you think of an early 90's Polaris Indy 500?

Chris

In our price range I think we would end up being around '93 or older.. Depends on what we can find I guess... Do you have any other model recommendations? My girlfriend is partial to Polaris.

I own a 1990 Indy 500. I've had it since '94 and have had nothing but fun with it. The wife has been riding it since '96. This thing has been INDYstructible! It's got over 4000 miles on it. It's only been worked on once (other than yearly maint)and that was a quick recall. I personaly think the Indy 500 is the best sled ever built for someone who wants to get on and go and not worry about breakdowns. Perfect sled for people new to the sport. Just to give you an Idea about price, If I was to sell it I would ask $1100 and take $1000.

A few people in our snowmobile club have some pretty good high mileage machines.
Two different Phazers one has 10,000 miles the other over 12,000. Then theres the old S.R.V that guy has over 16,000. They all say they have never rebuilt the motor. Just the clutches and other typical maintenence . The guy with the SRV is a sled mechanic for
Bristows Polaris out of St.Cloud. He said they all make a good sled today, he just thinks yamahas, especially a few years back make the most reliable, best engineered sled.
Like i'm sure most of you,I've been in the Bars and heard the argument for each and every make and model, and why this one or that one is the best. But its hard to deny this guy, he really knows his stuff. Personally, my wife and kids share a Yamaha that has a little over 4,000 miles on it now with no issues ever, we dont even consider it to be a lot of miles yet. That said I ride a newer Cat just because I rode my buddies ZR and was hooked, it is a riot, talk about a fun, aggresive sled. Worlds better than the old XLT. I think your main concern should not be the make but the person that you buy from and the over all condition. Does he take care of his stuff? Is it an older trail rideing guy or a young ditch banger with no fear stickers all over the damm thing and he says dude shes wicked fast,huh,huh. Find a model you personally like, for whatever reason, then just carefully start shopping around the private party market, that way you know what the previous owner was like and you wont pay way too much either. Dont be afraid of the miles. Hell if you take care of it just imagine the years of fun you could have for $1,000 bucks if you bought Hangbellys ( by the way I think that guy might be my twin brother )

[This message has been edited by Iron Cowboy (edited 11-05-2002).]

Ely Lake Expert, 1500 miles a year,good for you! Thats about what I put on in a year too, sometimes more, if less it was a really bad year. I've got a few buddys that have put on over 4,000 in a year, its what they absolutely live for. I didnt understand the earlier posts when they said an older sled might have 3,000 or 4,000
miles? Dont those people have a trailer? You have to go to the snow, you cant just wait for it to show up in your back yard. The people I ride with thats about a two maybe three year old sled. I sure hope a sled isnt wore out on the verge of major breakdowns when its three years old. As for the 1995 year I dont know of any problems either. I put 4,000 miles on a 95 600 without any clutch problems or any other problems either for that matter.

[This message has been edited by Iron Cowboy (edited 11-06-2002).]