• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heading up to Shell Lake on Saturday for a week at a rental cabin. The cabin is on the south end of the lake.

Couple questions if anyone is willing to help out with:

1) Where is a good local bait shop? I know there are cribs in the lake, so I'd like to find someone who can point me in the right direction.

2) Is there a marina on the lake that has gas at the dock?

3) How's the bite been lately? Not looking for specifics, just general help. I consider myself a fairly serious fisherman, but the inlaws are not too serious. So I'm looking just to be able to put them on some fish.

Thanks!!

If I recall correctly there's a couple bait shops right along highway 63 (although I think they may be up in Spooner and not in Shell Lake), just pop in and ask. The cribs are easy to find anyway; basically all along the shore between 14 and 20 FoW. Early in the year you can just look over the side of the boat and see them. Probably won't work in August. There is just one launch on Shell: right off 63 and it'll cost you $5. No gas there: bring a 5 gallon can or 2.

I haven't fished there this year; but in general there's always one species or another active. If weeds are present in the south bay this year, it will be loaded with northern (lot's of small ones, but I've pulled a couple 30 inchers out of there), and occassionally muskies prowl there. Largemouth mix in as well. Smallies and wallies stick more to the rocks. There aren't a lot of rocks on the lake, but if you find them they always seem to produce. Otherwise cribs are your best bet. Just troll the break line until you mark a few, then come back to those.

Public launch on east side of lake. Bring fuel or go to a gas station in town. Should be able to get a lake map localy to show the cribs. Might want to dry lead core and planner boards for the eye's. Smallmouth just find some rock bars and go after them!