• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

?'s on new sleds

Still considering purchasing a new sled & need some info? Is the arctic cat panther liquid cooled? And does polaris make a comparable sled to the panther and if so is it liquid cooled? Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Whopper,

The panther is primarily a trail sled. You can get it in two diferent engine sizes, a 570 and a 440. Both versions are fan cooled.

Polaris has two models that are close to Panther. They are the Super Sport which is fan cooled and the Indy 500 which is 488cc an is Liquid cooled.

Paul

[This message has been edited by Pwaldow123 (edited 02-04-2002).]

I bought a 02 panther 570 and like it alot,shoped a bit for a simalar sled in the other makers, polaris, skidoo, and found the cat prices to be best, for the money buy, talked to alot of people about fans and i was dead set on liquid, but allmost all said go fan, am happy with my choise, Rides great!Bought the hitch so I can do some towing, should have plenty power. no snow, thats the only prob ive came up with.

I had a Cat ZL440, it was a good sled but now I am back to a Polaris XCR 440. One thing a do know is the Polaris Indy 500 with the 488cc liquid engine is bullit proof. Good Luck shopping there should be some good deals since it did not snow this year frown.gif.

------------------
Just having Fun.
Love to Fish.

The Polaris 500 liquid has been around for awhile and is very dependable. Like the guy said "bullet proof". Hard to beat for all-around use. With the way the winters have been the last couple of years you could save alot of $ going used. Lots of low mile sleds out there. This is the time to buy. I have a 96 Indy widetrack. 500 liquid with low/reverse. Wouldn't get a sled without reverse.

Whopper,

If you really want a liquid, you should look at the Arctic Cat Pantera's. They are all liquid cooled. You can get a 550,600 EFI,or an 800. They are the same as a Panther just liquid cooled.

I have a Polaris XC 500 liquid and I love it. It is a '99 with 900 miles on it. There are a lot of used lseds so you should find some really good deals out there. I had a AC ZR 580 and I sold it for the Polaris. Would never go back....

Ive owned Polaris for years and finally sold them and went to cat...Ill also never go back. Before polaris came out with the edge suspension it had nothing to compare with cats E.T.T And the recent new high tech sleds of 2003 are finally showing that cats A-arm front suspension is by far the best. For me ride quality is huge and after trying to keep up with all the zr sleds on my xc in the real rough stuff I finally gave up--if you cant beat em join em..best move I made. As far as motor quality ask any dealer of any make and they will all tell you that they are all pretty close to each other. The real difference is in how you take care of them. The dealer has told me that out of every 10 sleds he gets in with a burn down at least 9 of them are from bad maintenence issues--mostly dirty carbs that plug a jet and lean out. If you leave gas in the carbs all summer it creates a varnish that will flake off once its running again and Brrrrr..... your done. Allways clean out the carbs every fall or get E.F.I and you will save a lot of trouble.Ive never been able to figuire out how some guys can pound the dump out of something , never take any time to take care of it , and then dam that its just a bad make of sled thats the problem when it breaks down, Yeah Right rolleyes.gif Now with the new models out by Yamaha and ski-doo(and you know cat and polaris will be right behind them) everything is changing and we get to start all over as to what rides , handles , performs the best etc... Hopefully with all this high tech stuff on the new ones they can still manage to keep the prices halfway reasonable or in a few years Ill be compared to the old gramps of today rideing the old colt 340 one lunger with the bogey wheels and leaf suspension out to the fish house frown.gif

MNUser, you owned a lemon! That was the worst engine AC put in a sled, so I don't blame you.
Go buy the new 4-stroke. What a sweet machine for the trails and fishing.

I'll never own a Polaris.....

Whopper, what's your goal. A hot sled to wreck trails, nice trail sled to tour, or a combo machine to trail and use for ice fishing. Does it need to be a 2-up? The next generation of sleds will be very techno (power + handling). But the $ keeps going up every year. Seems like the last couple of years it's about $1000/yr. Stating your goal will narrow down the advice a little.

I got a ski-doo and polaris. No difference between these two, or any other I think. But, the best suspension you can buy is the M-10 that came with my Polaris. For that one reason, Polaris takes it. All the rest BITE!