• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

bear bait

Not much of a base in my mind, but works great as a treat. popcorn is not a solid staple to me, but teaser to throw around the area an let them snuff it up preparing for a shot. They love it tho, if ya can get large quantities might work out for ya. My 2 cents. throw in some dog food an thats a good meal, heck might join ya. Lol

Not much of a base in my mind, but works great as a treat. popcorn is not a solid staple to me, but teaser to throw around the area an let them snuff it up preparing for a shot. They love it tho, if ya can get large quantities might work out for ya. My 2 cents. throw in some dog food an thats a good meal, heck might join ya. Lol

I pop hundreds of gallons a year. They LOVE IT!

Wat kinda barrel do ya have? one with a clamp on lid works best, I welded a a 2 in tube about a foot long running up an down the barrel in the middle, or just poke a couple holes to run a chain thru. I plasma cut a hole just big enough fo a bear to get his paw an arm thru to scoop out bait.I suppose the hole is about a little smaller than a small sandwich plate 6-8 inches across. Ohters might have a way, just how i do it, Hey trapper how much pop corn do ya throw out at once. I use to get the last nights bar popcorn but couldnt depend on it.

Popcorn works great it takes them a long time too eat and they cant just grab a chunk and run off and eat it. I used it in a 55 gal drum to keep it dry chained really short to a tree with a small hole like boar stated. They love caramel corn but you can just mix the regular with sugar. The plus side is you can carry huge bags of it in and not strain your back.

Well we made a bait barrel from 35gal barrel with a clamp on ring. Cut a 4X6 hole in it about 3 inches from the bottom. Might make another before the weekend. Got 55 gallons of popcorn ready for the first weekend and all sorts of sweets to cover it in.

Camando, everyone makes a barrel different an really no right way or wrong way I think, but my 2 cents if you will, would be concerned about the hole that close to the bottom of the barrel, I use a 35 gall. to an how I view it is that with the hole so close to the bottom an the ground , might cause the bear to lye down or at least in a crouched over position an not have ing enough exposer to the vitals. My hole is located central to uper 2/3rds, their paws an arms can reach in a grab off the bottom at that placement. Just something to considered on ur next barrel is all. Good luck, Boar