• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rotory lazer

K_Josh87

anyone have experience with rotary lazers? I am leaning towards a topcon kit, I have found then on e bay for a great price in my opinion, accurate to 1/16th at 100'... I also have a flyer from menards that has johnson lazers 15% off, with an additional 11% rebate... So, considering special ordering johnsons comparable model. Anyone have any experience with either of these? I am looking to use this for mostly framing (mostly post frame) to make marking bench marks a 1 man job, and speed it up. Also thinking it could be used for setting trim heights, and attached to auger and used to set post hole depth on uneven ground...

Thoughts comments appreciated!

Thanks!

I have a Johnson that I use for installing cabinets and it works just fine for that. The biggest hurdle you will have unless you are a midnight carpenter is seeing the line over distances in daylight.

Mine was only a few hundred dollars and does well if you shut the lights off inside but outside it doesn't have the jiggawatts to work well outside. I will temper that by saying you can wear the red glasses and they may be able to help you see the line. I just don't have any experience with it to know one way or another.

They also have the sensors that you can put on a story pole and find the line that way but then again IMHO that is a little cumbersome.

If you want a great, cheap level that works above freezing, you can just buy a long length of clear 3/4 inch plastic tubing and put water it in and the water will always find level. I actually did this for a few years in my younger days before I could afford the lazer. And added benefit is you can go around obstacles and corners. You just set a reference line and then raise the tube until the water level hits the line, then someone on the other end of the tube marks the water line at the secondary location and you are good to go with a chalk line or string.

The units I am looking at have the story pole sensors, and are more in the $800 range... The one in particular I am looking at is 1/16th to 100' accurate with 2600' working diameter (with the sensor)... I have a builders level now that I use... But I think the rotory level with the sensor would make several things a one man job... instead of paying a second guy to run a pencil at a cost of 40 bucks a man hour, it only take a couple jobs to pay for its self if I can eliminate the need for that man...

I've got a Topcon and a Hilti (w/sensor). The Hilti (model? At work) is a lot better unit in my opinion. You can use the sensor for laying out walls,doorframes with vertical lines or horizontal for ceilings,cabinets etc. You can also use it to match stuff that is out of plumb or level with a tilt feature. I don't have there salesmans number right now but can get it Monday. They have a deal going that if you trade in your old stuff you get $$$ off and they also have a lease program anything goes wrong for 2-3 years they fix it free.

Josh,

Don't over think it. I've had a DeWalt for the last 12-13 years and it gets used quite a bit over the course of a year. It has been banged around and keeps on going (one time it fell from ceiling height when I was hanging grid for a suspended ceiling). My brother bought a Johnson and seems happy with it but I don't think it would take the abuse that some of the others will. When I plan on making a big purchase I will call rental companies to get their opinion and also call down to seven corners hardware (I've bought many tools from there as they are very knowledgeable and carry professional grade(there is a difference, ask when you call) Either way you go will determine when you need to buy a new one.

When I looked up the retailers for topcon, the only dealers in the area where heavy equipment dealerships... I would assume they carry decent things... I am still leaning that way... really if its what I buy, its what I will get used to, and it will be what I like...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.