• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

quack grass control selective

fletcher

Any silver bullets out there to selectively control this in residential lawn. I have heard Tenacity and Certainty pre 2011. I need help, my lawn still looks like the before pictures, my lawn service is getting nowhere.

I am in Prior Lake and treating with RU and homemade pipewick aka weed wiper. Desperate battle but losing. If reseeding is only option when is best time early fall after aerating?

Thanks

Quack is taking over my lawn as well. Undeveloped lots all around have me perplexed how to combat it. I tried gly earlier in the summer and now have barespots where the quack was, but new stuff has sprouted everywhere. There's got to be a solution! ???

No silver bullets out there for quackgrass. Al you can do, other than carefully spot treating quackgrass with glyphosate on a brush or rag or something, is fertilize and water as needed and mow the lawn on a regular basis. Having a thick lawn helps to choke out quackgrass. At least to a point that you don't notice the quackgrass.

I believe Certainty is no longer available to use on cool season turfgrass.

Selective....nope. Sounds like you are on the right track with the R-UP and seed. Most of our customers deal with it, but some have had us kill it off and seed. Aeration and seed in the fall is a good approach.

Lets all get together with a bunch of chemicals and see if we can find a cure for this problem. We can split the millions evenly....... grin

Anyone major in grass DNA??

ask your neighbors lawn service what the name of chemical is.

I have been looking high and low, greenskeepers, ag, chemists, extension office everything.

herbicide called beacon dont know if available residential.

Kerb and corsair are other names, tenacity has knocked it back but not out, following up with a second treatment. I found some evidence of this working but not proof, fingers crossed.

thanks

certainty worked like a charm, follow directions/rate closely, do not use on drought stressed lawn, will ding your grass some but it recovered.

Killed quack, turned purple and died.

Follow up apps as needed, hard to tell where missed with hand held tank sprayer.

be careful but worked, labled for surpression and not cool grasses, but consulted with local sod farms and it worked for me, makeup did not change but lable did likely because of risks

That's what I thought. After my neighbor told me his lawncare co said there's a product you can apply in the fall when the turf goes dormant and the quack is still actively growing, I thought I'd ask again!

I'd bet they just used a glyphosate based chemical.

It would be easier to locate the Quack, plus with the "good" grass being dormant, there would be less risk to it.

I don't know of any chemical on the market right now designed to target Quack.

I have a rather large patch of quack grass in the back right corner of my yard and it is driving me nuts. I am looking for ways to contain it and hopefully eventually reduce it. The lawn is well established so there is plenty of desired grass as well. I am hesitant to spray the entire area with RU and reseed because I don't have an irrigation system and when I did that to a very small patch in my front yard it just grew back.

I was thinking of trying this.

1. Mowing the lawn pretty low and then watering the area, to get the quack to grow.

2. After 2-3 days from the lawn mowing taking a hockey stick and placing a couple socks on the blade and dipping in RU. And then running across the top of the quack.

3. Then applying a nitrogen fertilizer a day or two after the RU application.

4. Applying another RU application in a week or two.

If anyone with a little more experience can provide some advice that would be great. If my strategy shows some results I will have no problem spending the 10-15 minutes once a week to apply the RU application with a hockey stick and hopefully keep chipping away.

I have a rather large patch of quack grass in the back right corner of my yard and it is driving me nuts. I am looking for ways to contain it and hopefully eventually reduce it. The lawn is well established so there is plenty of desired grass as well. I am hesitant to spray the entire area with RU and reseed because I don't have an irrigation system and when I did that to a very small patch in my front yard it just grew back.

I was thinking of trying this.

1. Mowing the lawn pretty low and then watering the area, to get the quack to grow.

2. After 2-3 days from the lawn mowing taking a hockey stick and placing a couple socks on the blade and dipping in RU. And then running across the top of the quack.

3. Then applying a nitrogen fertilizer a day or two after the RU application.

4. Applying another RU application in a week or two.

If anyone with a little more experience can provide some advice that would be great. If my strategy shows some results I will have no problem spending the 10-15 minutes once a week to apply the RU application with a hockey stick and hopefully keep chipping away.

That is about all you can do, other than I personally wouldn't now it any shorter than normal.