• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thorne Brothers Mystery Tournament - Still a mystery

IcePro

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the next lake will not be a mystery since Coon Lake is the last lake on the list.

Do you still need to go to Chisago for the lake name draw and registration or go directly to Coon Lake and which landing?

lol... these lakes are still in (I think?)

Big Marine

N/S Center

Fanny

Forest

Am I missing any??

August 5th is the next Mystery Tournament, and since no one won the $400 in GLoomis rods, its carried over to this event! $800 in 'Loomis rods are going to be won on August 5th, along with a couple daiwa reels, $200 in thorne bro's cash/gift certs, a professional boat detailing, and packs of lures/jigs.

The payout in this next tournament with all these perks has got be close to 200%??? Someone want to do the math? Its too early for me to math.

Entry is only $50/team and $10 for big bass, and limited to 25 boats.

There were only 15 boats?

It's a show-up-and-fish type deal, but I would definitely call Rob Keller the tournament director at 612-298-5703 if you are planning on coming. With the double Gloomis dollars at the next event I have a feeling it might fill up more quickly.

Also, I wonder if changing the meeting location turned anyone away? I bet some folks showed up at the old parking lot wondering where everyone was. I drove past it and almost didn't notice. If someone was coming from the other direction would they have known?

The last few tournaments have had a ton of different ways to win, so don't worry if its a lake drawn that you're not sure how to fish because you can still win!

Smallest bag of 5 fish- $200 in cash/gift cert

Closest bag to the mystery weight (announced prior to takeoff and usually around 8-11lbs)- $400 in Gloomis bucks ($800 on August 5th though)

Top 3 places payout cash.

Other prizes include a pair of $100 Daiwa AIRD reels, a professional boat detailing, and a pack of nice jigs. Rob has done different side contests for these from median weights, pitching contests, etc.

In the Goose Lake tournament there were a couple guys who didn't have a great day on the water and weren't feeling that good about their smallish bag of fish. Turns out no one went for the smallest 5-fish bag so they won the $200 for smallest bag AND the Daiwa reels for $400 worth of stuff!! Turned that frown upside down in a hurry!

Geezuz, over 20lbs to win on back to back metro lakes?! Who's throwing the tungsten down their throats lol.

My club and I must really suck, we rarely have someone bag 20lbs and thats during our out of town tourneys

A case could be made that there are larger fish in the metro than out of town. Im sure the fish out of town may be more abundant, but I dont know of a lot of lakes out of the metro where I could go to and catch a 4 pound average...

Geezuz, over 20lbs to win on back to back metro lakes?! Who's throwing the tungsten down their throats lol.

My club and I must really suck, we rarely have someone bag 20lbs and thats during our out of town tourneys

Just depends on the particular lake more than anything imo. Lakes like Big Marine, Forest Lake, or White Bear Lake tend to have much smaller bags than other nearby lake for example. 15lbs for a win isn't uncommon on these lakes. Green Lake and Goose Lake have a better population of big fish that guys were able to find. Heck, the first place team on Goose Lake told me it was their first time fishing the lake.

Some of the best days you can have fishing is when you just go out and have fun and try a bunch of different things until you figure them out!

Ive seen a 20lb bag on:

Leech

Lura

Boy

Most metro bags are 14-17lbs for a win:

Big Marine

Minnetonka

Pokegama/Cross

Maple

Knife

Big/Little Pine

are the lakes that I recall fishing... We've got tourneys on Coon and N/S Center remaining, and I really don't anticipate a 20lb bag out of either of those lakes. Maybe were just picking the wrong lakes....(or we suck, thats always a possibility cry)

Tonka usually takes a 4lb average to win, sometimes 3.5lbs depending on the time of year. Most southern MN lakes near Faribault/Mankato take a 4lb+ average to win (or in the case of German/Jefferson, sometimes a 5lb average!)

Medicine and Waconia takes a 4lb average.

Most Chisago area lakes seem to take 20+lbs for 5 to win.

Go look at classicbass results pages for this year and last year and you start seeing a pattern of the weights on some of these lakes.

I would definitely expect someone who knows the lakes well to win with 20lb for 5 fish on N/S center and Coon Lake, assuming its a typical day with nothing weird going on. At least that's what its taken in the past!

Quote:
We've got tourneys on Coon and N/S Center remaining, and I really don't anticipate a 20lb bag out of either of those lakes. Maybe were just picking the wrong lakes....(or we suck, thats always a possibility )

I just won a Frankies tournament on N/S Center , 5 fish just a hair under 22 lbs.. and that was in a 3.5 hour tournament.

2012-07-10_21-22-30_525.jpg

I just won a Frankies tournament on N/S Center , 5 fish just a hair under 22 lbs.. and that was in a 3.5 hour tournament.

That is a very impressive showing Deitz!! Reminds me of last year in my club, 3 hours on Green and a 21# bag for 5. They said they only caught 6 fish total too.

A case could be made that there are larger fish in the metro than out of town. Im sure the fish out of town may be more abundant, but I dont know of a lot of lakes out of the metro where I could go to and catch a 4 pound average...

Lol. I can think of a couple wink

are the lakes that I recall fishing... We've got tourneys on Coon and N/S Center remaining, and I really don't anticipate a 20lb bag out of either of those lakes. Maybe were just picking the wrong lakes....(or we suck, thats always a possibility cry)

N/S Center has pigs! took nearly 23lbs to win our tourny out there. Me and my partner had just under 18lbs and a 6 lb bass and only got fourth and no big fish money.

Coon has pigs but I guess this year it has been a tough bite. About 16 lbs won it this year in our league and that was with a really tough bite.

Any lake I go into it expecting to need at least 16 lbs to win. We have awesome fishing in this state and someone always seems to get on the good fish.