• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Birch Lake (Superior National Forest)

shiltsy

Anyone target smallies in this lake up by Ely? I'll be up there for four days later this week and plan to put in some time on the water.

Sounds like it's a walleye factory and also hoping there is a hidden treasure of smallmouth. Looking forward to getting away from the metro area fishing pressure for a few days!

Shiltsy, its very hard to fish as everything looks good up there. Focus on inlets and you will have a RIOT, but be very careful if you have a glassboat. Spent a few days out there last year couldn't pick up a decent fish on the lake. Tied up the glass boat and headed out in a canoe to one of the inlets and it was walleye after smallie after smallie with the 8wt and floating raps! Good Luck!!! wink

...but be very careful if you have a glassboat....

Do you say that because of unmarked deadheads? I used to fish Birch with my dad as a kid, but I just can't remember the structure at all. I know we fished into the Kawishiwi River, up to its inlet from whatever stream feeds it just beyond the trestle bridge. But our boat as a kid was a little Alumacraft with a 10HP.

I was thinking of trying there this year with my 20' glass fish-n-ski. Is the lake not safe for larger boats?

Just got back from a weekend on Birch. What a beautiful lake! I was amazed at the lack of boat traffic and other anglers out there.

It's not the best time of the year, so I'm sure that was partially responsible, but it was very slow fishing. I put in my time and worked it hard and caught around 10 fish total (Northern, Smallie, Walleye). I noticed quite a few follows and nips, but the fish were very wary. If they were "on", this lake would be an absolute riot.

Now the good news... out of the 2-3 smallies I caught, one was a 3-4 lb HOG. My scale died, but it was a nice fish that fought like crazy. Even better, is the 30" walleye that broke my rod before I got her in the boat. I'm doing a replica mount and will post pics asap.

That lake is a boulder minefield. It was almost impossible to beach by the campground and when I tried I ended up with a bunch of nasty fiberglass damage. I'd do it all over again for that walleye.