• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reels

masoct3

Hello,

So I recently was given a 9 foot Berkely Glow Stick. Pretty sturdy and nice feel. Big.

I was at Cabelas and wanted to piece a reel to go with it.

For the King Kat II, I have only heard so-so reviews. It is $25 on sale and the rod is worth about, maybe $35.

I ended up taking home the Cabela branded ZX series. HOwever, I am now thinking it was a bad idea, as the reel is about double the price of the rod.

What would some of you use as a larger than normal reel for cats and rough fish to complement the Glow Stick?

Thanks so much!

based on the fact that you looked at the king cat II, I would guess the rod is a spinning rod and not a casting rod. If it were me I would look at the Okuma Avenger Baitfeeders. another one to may be look at is a Shimano IX 4000. Fleet has theses. they are like $10.00 each but are very good reels for smaller channel cats(less than 10Lbs) and for the money. I run the shimano IX 4000 on my channel cat set up that I use around my area. Now on the other hand if the rod is a casting rod I would look at the Abu Garcias. the 6500 C3 series are nice reels. if that would be to small then move up to the Abu Garcia 7000I. you can find deals on both of these if you shop around. do a web search for "catfish Connection", they are were I get most of my cat gear from if I don't make it myself. I buy all my cat reels from them because they have the best prices I found.

bottom line is thou that you get what you pay for when it comes to cat reels. spend the extra to get something good right away and then you don't have to worry about it no more. a good reel will cost more then that rod.

that is a good reel. it is just a Okuma Avenger relabeled with the cabela's name. if the 40 size is to small go up to a 50 or 65 size. some of the cat guys I know have even used 65's for flatheads.

I don't think its small at all. What would your comments be about pairing with this rod, however? I feel it is making the rod better than it really is. I can see this on another rod, but a glow stick?

Thanks!

that is a good reel. it is just a Okuma Avenger relabeled with the cabela's name. if the 40 size is to small go up to a 50 or 65 size. some of the cat guys I know have even used 65's for flatheads.

I use the saltstriker reels up here on the red of the north for channel cats... great reels, you won't be disappointed. I loaded up with 80lb braid on mine. The bait runner function works great even in the heavy current below the lockport dam.

I don't think its small at all. What would your comments be about pairing with this rod, however? I feel it is making the rod better than it really is. I can see this on another rod, but a glow stick?

Thanks!

Just because the rod is so called cheap doesn't mean that it is not a good or even great rod for that matter.

One of my Favorite set ups was a cheap 6 ft fiberglass rods with a nice penn reel on it. it was great for reefing to big old flats out of the cover. but the river ate that set up and has never given it back. Acctually it slipped out of my hands during a cast and now its gone whistle

Those rods are a really great rod for cats I have a Shimmano 650 baitrunner on mine and love it along with having a the same reel on a ulgy stick both great rod/reel combo's that I put together.

Don't under estimate the glowstick for one minuet.

I appreciate everyones input!

I will keep this reel. If I were to get a second rod and swap this reel with both rods, what rod would be a good choice at the big C? Not wanting to spend big $$$ on a catfish rod at this point.

Thank you!

I will keep this reel. If I were to get a second rod and swap this reel with both rods, what rod would be a good choice at the big C? Not wanting to spend big $$$ on a catfish rod at this point.

Thank you!

I wanted a cheap 2nd cat rod, but the cheap one quickly became my favorite! It's a 8' 2 piece cabelas king cat, MH action. Glass rod, very durable. I went 4 cats over 20 pounds in a row one night, rod loads up great.

Thank you!

I don't believe cabela's has it but if I were you I would look at the Shakespeare ugly stick catfish series. they come in 7' or 8' models both casting and spinning. they are $30 to $35 depending on where you get it. walmart by me carries the 7' models. that is where I got mine but Catfish Connection has both lengths and are $31.95 each plus shipping.

I'm with Gordie on this one. My favorite set up is an 8" Glowstick with an Abu Garcia Big Game Reel. I only use circle hooks and that combination is as good as lamb and tunafish, or perhaps you prefer peanut butter and jelly laugh Rod loads well on smaller channels all the way up to 50+lb Flats. I lose very few fish after that rod loads up and I survive the initial bounceingThese rods remind me off the old berkley reflex rods. Great rod for an even better price. The LED light is more of a novelty to me but that doesn't stop me from making the light-saber whoosh noise everytime I turn it on grin

I wouldn't get all worked up about fancy rods when it comes to catfishing. Put your money on a quality reel with a good drag.

Now if you spend enough time doing it, you might an urge to get something nice or personalized like a custom rod but it sure won't catch you more fish, and even after several years of cattin and using quite a few different rods, I still think some of the better ones I've used come in under $50