• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help me find a scope for Remington 870 Express

I shoot a red dot on my 11-87. Good to at least as far as your iron sights are. Easy. I wouldnt trade it for anything. I have a BSA 42mm on 2 different guns, love them. They are cheap and I honestly cant say anything negative about them. I like the 1x no magnification on a slug gun. Its nice in the stand and if you shoot at a deer on the move you can shoot with both eyes open. very quick that way.

If you want a powered scope, im sure theres lots of good ones out there too.

good luck

I have a leupold 4x on my 870 slug gun, I have been pleased with it, but I only hunt rifle zone now so I have not used the gun in a few years. I would look hard at the red dot sights as well, I would think they would be a good option.

I have a tasco world class with 1.5x4 power works good. If I was to upgrade I would look at cabelas they have one with a BDC reticle specificly for shotguns,lots of eye relief and lifetime warranty. If the recoil of the shot gun ruins the scope you can bring it back to cabelas and they replace it for free. wink

I have a Bushnell Trophy "brush" model on my 870. It is a 1.75-4X power scope. Usually keep it on 2 but will crank it up to 4 if needed. I hunt in SE MN where most of my shots are under 75 yards in the woods. I have had this scope for nearly 15 years. I use the B-square mount so I can see my regular sights if needed. Adds extra weight to the gun but has come in handy. Make sure to use blue(removeable) loctite on the screws otherwise things will loosen up. Sucks to find out the hard way when you miss a turkey under 25 yards due to the screws working their way out and havig a slight wobble of the scope. No problems after using the blue loctite. I check my screws before each season since that incident.

THe Leupold Ultimateslam is an outstanding shotgun scope. It has a BDC reticule with marks for 50, 100, 150, 200 and 300 yards. The matte black model is a 2-7 power and the camo version (mossy oak break up or tree stand) comes in 3-9. Nice optics and a great reticule. I have seen new ones for under $250

Can you recommend style or specific scope that would be good for my 870 while deer hunting? Thank you in advance.

One thing that I would look for would be a scope with a decent amount of eye relief. Once upon a time I bought a replacement slug barrel for my 870 because I wanted the cantilever scope base. The barrel from Remington came with a cheapo scope one it, so I figured I'd at least give it a try. Not good. I'm not sure if it was defective or what, but it had a very short eye relief and I ended up "scoping" myself a couple times. Luckily I was wearing safety glasses and it didn't cut me. Tossed the scope in the drawer after that.

I have a 1.75 x 4 power that I put on my 870 and will never go back to a 3x9 for a slug gun again.

The lower power scope is all a guy needs for a shot gun.

I have had a couple higher power scopes such as 3x9 in bushnell and tasco and even a redfeild and they all are tough to pick a clear shot at a close distance I found this 1.75 X 4 buschnell sportveiw with a post and it is great have taken deer from 20 ft to 150 yrds with it.

Yes the 3X9's will work fine but sight it up on a magazine artical at 15-25 ft and the words are blurry then try it with the lower power scope and you'll see what I mean.

Another thing my old man told me along time ago and of course I didnt listen was shoot the iron sights as long as you can cause once you get older it gets harder to shoot those types of sights. for the last 10-12 years I have shot iron sights just to do it and lately its getting harder to see that little sight up front. asked him WHY? he said: "simple what if you knock your scope of sight" I replied "enough said dad"

I have a Bushnell Trophy "brush" model on my 870. It is a 1.75-4X power scope. Usually keep it on 2 but will crank it up to 4 if needed. I hunt in SE MN where most of my shots are under 75 yards in the woods. I have had this scope for nearly 15 years. I use the B-square mount so I can see my regular sights if needed. Adds extra weight to the gun but has come in handy. Make sure to use blue(removeable) loctite on the screws otherwise things will loosen up. Sucks to find out the hard way when you miss a turkey under 25 yards due to the screws working their way out and havig a slight wobble of the scope. No problems after using the blue loctite. I check my screws before each season since that incident.

This is probably the same one I have on my Sportsman 12 (cheapie 870). At the time they called it the Bushnell Trophy Turkey Scope, but works great on my slug gun. The 1.75-4X is plenty for me even shooting sabots and has good eye relief. The Circle-X reticle is OK too. I think they call it the "Brush" scope now.

Trophy Circle X

If you do longer range, perhaps one of the lower magnification units with the DOA reticle would be nice.

Trophy DOA

Whoaru99- It look very similar.

I have used it for deer and turkey. It can be used a range guide. By that I mean, within 40 yards the head and neck of the turkey will be all within the circle. I no longer use the 870 for turkey but still use it w scope for deer.